Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Places to swim in Dublin/Meath/Kildare/Wicklow?

• 12-04-2016 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Any parks or walks that allow dogs that have (a) water and (b) a very gentle bank to allow a dog to get in?

My dog used to love walking along the canal and having a good old swim. She still loves going in, swimming in a little circle, and coming back to you, but she has arthritis and is a lot weaker than she used to be and can't get in and out of the canal.

So anyone have any suggestions for places where an old dog can go for a swim easily? Even just locations along rivers that are deep enough to swim, easy to get in and out of, and which wouldn't be trespassing to go into.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Griffith park beside us has steps going down into the water or Bailey's favourite is to jump down onto the weirs and swim off from there BUT you need to be careful because there's often either detergent or diesel/fuel dumped into it :( You wouldn't always smell it down river either but there's drain or something at the mobhi road bridge where we go in and you see it flowing in. Often we can smell it in our garden but not down the other end of the park!

Santy park has a lake - beware of swans or if you walk down into the park and head left there's swimming spots before and after the bridge..

St Annes has a little stream but I wouldn't recommend swimming in the lake - the smell lol! >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Cherryfield/Dodder Valley Park between Tallaght and Knocklyon. If you go in at the side of Mortons Harrys Bar pub on Fir house Rd there is a gently sloping area where dogs can get in easily and room to throw a ball or stick to the other side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Blessington lake has lots of car parks and easy sloped walk off the beach into the lake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I go to Portane Beach. It is often fairly deserted & that suits me. The fact that there is a nice Chipper there too helps with my decision :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

the 9th lock in clondalkin has a ramp down into the canal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wish I was out with the dogs now and them playing in the water! :(

Actually this just reminded me that my work has a lake that Bailey has had a swim in.... somebody warned ME not to swim it because it's very deep.. when I asked WTF would I be doing swimming in it they winked and said it wasn't unheard of in the past when somebody lost a bet lol!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Forgot to mention- places where she doesn't have to walk too far to get to the water are good. Sometimes she's fine to do her 3 or 4k, sometimes she's stiff and sore and will hobble along for 10 minutes and we'll go home (because I still want her to walk a little to get the stiffness out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

At Bettystown beach you can park on the beach, and you can just check the tide times for the tide being in so there'll be little or no walking. Also a lovely dog friendly cafe right beside the beach entrance for post walk refreshments.

In St Catherine's Park in Lucan is there anywhere the dogs can actually get into the Liffey and have a paddle? I've been going up and down the paths on the google maps thing and can't find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 De Oro

Vartry river in Wicklow Town, Malahide beach in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Latatian wrote: »
    Forgot to mention- places where she doesn't have to walk too far to get to the water are good. Sometimes she's fine to do her 3 or 4k, sometimes she's stiff and sore and will hobble along for 10 minutes and we'll go home (because I still want her to walk a little to get the stiffness out).

As Murria said, the section of Dodder Valley Park right behind Morton's pub in Firhouse. Cracking spot for dogs and the swimming spot is right beside the entrance.

I really love all these suggestions. Thanks guys!

"No, honestly, I had to go to the pub, and to the nice chipper. It was for the dog."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Castletown House in Celbridge has a couple of sandy spots along the bank of the Liffey for access in. There's a large carpark there too and the walk from car to river would be around 5 minutes. Just be aware the river can be quite fast flowing after a spell of rain but is usually fine this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I know its further than you mentioned, but Lough Boora Parklands in Offaly is a lovely spot and has a lot of lakes that the dogs can swim in. A really dog friendly place, loads of walks, stunning scenery and a nice cafe :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Latatian wrote: »
    In St Catherine's Park in Lucan is there anywhere the dogs can actually get into the Liffey and have a paddle? I've been going up and down the paths on the google maps thing and can't find anywhere.

If you park in the car park on the Lucan Village side and go in that way there is plenty of spots for the dog to get in and out on that side of the Liffey. You can still walk around to the far side with the forest and let the dog get in from there.

Advertisement