Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on south county dublin primary/secondary school selection

Options
  • 12-04-2016 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can anyone offer advice on how I select a primary/secondary school in south county Dublin for my son, now one-year-old. I am in the catchment area for Hollypark and St Brigids and would love to send him to either of these schools but as I’m learning, I may not be able to send him to either of these really good local schools because i need to factor in his secondary school. Both my husband and I are originally from ‘down the country’ but are now settled and living in foxrock.

The closest non-feeing paying schools to us that I know of are Clonkeen, Oatlands and Colaiste Eoin, which would be easy on the 46A bus. Re Oatlands it seems I would have to get him into the attached primary school for which we wouldn’t be in the catchment area. Re Clonkeen, I don’t know what primary schools feed into this but I’ve been warned to steer clear of it from someone who pulled their children out. Re Colaiste Eoin I’d have to get him into Scoil Lorain which I’ve heard is very hard.

If we opt for a private secondary school, given we’ve no family connection with any of them, we’ll have no choice but to put him into their associated junior schools which I’m not at all keen on but from where I’m standing right now almost seems like my only option.

I’m feeling really snookered on this. Can anyone offer any pearls of wisdom? Is there something I’m missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Awaaf

Personally I would get the admission policies of the relevant schools and study them, I also wouldn't hesitate to put his name down for a few schools to cover yourself (both primary and secondary), even before you fully understand the complexities of the policies. The secondaries may cost a few quid unfortunately.

I don't know your exact area as I am closer to DL so can't advise on the specific schools. re: Clonkeen I don't know much about it but I wouldn't be swayed by one account unless they presented clear evidence of a systemic problem. Assuming Clonkeen don't charge exhorbitant fees for joining their waiting list there is surely little to be lost by joining their list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Admission policies are likely to change in the coming years. Hadn't heard any issues regarding Clonkeen, mate of mine went there years ago and thought it was a good school, if he still lived in the area he'd send his kids there.
    I'd just go local for primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Well I attended Clonkeen in the 70's and know lots of my peers who are now sending their children there and have heard only good things about it.

My own kids took the Scoil Lorcain/Colaiste Eoin/Iosagain route which was fine but only suits academic kids. The only reason we didnt choose Clonkeen was that they were heading into a large building project while Colaiste Eoin had finished theirs.

I dont know where most of the boys go from Holly Park or Brigids but a lot do seem to go to Michaels/Gonzaga/Blackrock ect , all fee paying.

One option that may work for you is to get him into any local primary school and then keep in touch with Scoil lorcain as places often become available up the school. This will nearly guarantee him entry to Eoin..

You could also keep in touch with Johnstown school as they seem to feed into Clonkeen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd be surprised if Oatlands' stipulation that the feeder must come from their Primary School is firm, as I know both schools and they wouldn't fill the Secondary intake from just the Primary. To my knowledge, Hollypark, St. Lawrence's, Mount Anville Primary and St Brigid's Foxrock, among others, all feed into Oatlands and my friends who have kids there in recent years rate it well, a good balance of academic, sport and extra-curr.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

never heard anything bad about clonkeen.

I would have hated to go to Colaiste Eoin, I know several who did go there and it seemed to be OK, for them. I just would have deeply resented being forced to go to a Irish speaking school. Also would not like to have had to take a bus to school, as all of the people I know who went there had to, added about an extra hour to their school day compared to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

For many years, Hollypark and Brigids students were divided fairly evenly between Blackrock/CBC (both fee paying)/Oatlands and Clonkeen. In the boom times more went to the fee paying schools but it balanced out again in the last few years due to the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭spillit67

rubadub wrote: »
    never heard anything bad about clonkeen.

I would have hated to go to Colaiste Eoin, I know several who did go there and it seemed to be OK, for them. I just would have deeply resented being forced to go to a Irish speaking school. Also would not like to have had to take a bus to school, as all of the people I know who went there had to, added about an extra hour to their school day compared to me.

It's an excellent school that gets results. I don't know anyone who went there who resented having to speak Irish. If anything people I know who didn't go there were always annoyed about the advantage they had and the perceived points advantage in the Leaving Cert.

Advertisement