Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much value does a big back garden add onto a house?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm looking at a 2-bed, 1 bath terraced house in inner city Dublin. The house is in good nick and is 100% liveable, but needs some work to make it a real home. Kitchen is very awkwardly laid out, for example. Some streets nearby are lovely and some have shady characters...

I can afford to buy it but the asking price (per square metre) seems way out of line with other comparable properties nearby that have sold in recent months. (I checked the ppr).

what differentiates this house from all the surrounding properties is the back garden. It's huge (50 sqm) and has been built up with a deck, flagstone paving, brick beds, etc. It's the garden that I am really in love with. It could easily accommodate an addition, though that's not what I would do with it.

The houses next door have much smaller, courtyard style gardens. Still nice, but about 1/3'the size.

Is there a way to calculate added value with a back garden, some kind of rule of thumb?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I dont know how much value. Depends on the area i suppose.
    But a small back garden would be a deal breaker for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A garden, in general, would be desirable, compared to a house without. The value would depend on the area and size. It wouldn't have a specific value, but would make thr property more desirable, so increase the value of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

It gives you room to extend, would be the major consideration - I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Is there rear access?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

Thanks for responding so quickly!

No, there is no rear access. Just the garden space itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think the ability to extend such a small house and still have a decent garden would add some value. Maybe up to 10% of the value of the non extendable houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

Generally in areas desirable for families a large garden would add a good bir of value. In an inner city area I would think less so.

At the end of the day, you should bid what it is worth to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

We viewed two identical houses in the same estate in Sandyford recently, one with a small garden and one with a large garden, both with the same asking price. First house went for asking price. Second house, with the big garden went for 40k over the asking price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It depends on the buyers motivation but it can make the property much more desirable. It's good if you want ot have kids or pets, if you like gardening or garden activities and adds to the possibility of extending the property.

For us a large garden was a very big selling point in the house we bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I think it depends on the type of property it is, for example it might be less important in the type of property you've described as it doesnt scream out family home, but for a 3/4 bed suburban semi, its extremely important.

For example, I'm 30 and lest year I bought a 3bed duplex with a relatively large terrace (12sqm) because that fits my lifestyle now and for the next 5-10 years. It means I can have bbqs etc but don't have to worry about gardening. Ultimately its not where I see myself forever.

Its horses for courses I think. If you love this place, then go ahead and put in an offer, because it sounds great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 woodstock1708

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

markpb wrote: »
    First house went for asking price. Second house, with the big garden went for 40k over the asking price.

that about sums it up

Advertisement