Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City (2) v PSG (2) k/o 7.45pm UCL QF's

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

City deserve this, theyve defended very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Regardless of the result this tie has to have been one of the worst champions league quarter finals in recent years.Atrociously bad quality in both legs.Really disappointing stuff from both teams.

Fantastic stuff tonight IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

blueser wrote: »
    You're nearly as desperate for us to lose as I would be if it was a certain other side out there tonight!

You should try reading posts.

Di Maria must still be in shock at being back in Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's just such a pity that PSG are so much better than all the English teams and City havnt a hope of getting through....................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Would you say it's one of the worst matches of all time?

No.

It's juts been a disappointing tie in terms of quality from both teams.

I expected a lot more to be honest.

Should never be offside there.

City v Bayern.

Written in the stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Di Maria must really love Manchester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Di Maria must really love Manchester

Mentally weak, been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ideal semis would be City / Bayern and Barca / Real

Would love to see Barca and Bayern knocked out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

PSG have been awful tonight. Well done City, fully deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Happy for Pellegrini, delighted for psg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

If Man City win the Champions League and Liverpool win the Europa and they both finish outside the top 4 will that mean 3rd and 4th place both miss out. Very unlikely to happen I know

Nice one City. Go and win it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm delighted for Manuel Pellegrini.

Hope they go on to make the final just to put pressure on the manager following him into the job. He didn't deserve to be treated the way he was. Always a class act and an intelligent man too.

If Man City win the Champions League and Liverpool win the Europa and they both finish outside the top 4 will that mean 3rd and 4th place both miss out. Very unlikely to happen I know

Not true afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hats off to City, a rare display of gritty determination in Europe. PSG are just flat track bullies, as long as they can walk the domestic league they'll not be able to raise their game when it matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well done lads. Fantastic defensive performance tonight. The two CBs and the Fern twins were excellent. And as for KDB; what a man!

eagle eye wrote: »

Hope they go on to make the final just to put pressure on the manager following him into the job. He didn't deserve to be treated the way he was. Always a class act and an intelligent man too.

Agreed he's very gracious win lose or draw. Very underrated tbh.

Always liked him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Johner wrote: »
    PSG have been awful tonight. Well done City, fully deserved.

Absolutely. Fully deserved. When even BT are calling PSG terrible on the night you know they were bad.
    Poor match but City won't & shouldn't care. Don't feel sorry for Zlatan not winning the big one this year he didn't look arsed tonight, not for the first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Great game of ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Psg were very disappointing tonight but they lost the tie in the first leg.

Best Iv seen man city defend all year. Two central midfielders were excellent and aguero was everywhere. Have to question where the teams desire and concentration in defence has been all season in the premier league after that though.

Surely city draw Bayern next

No, just 4th. Max of 5 allowed from 1 country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Pellegrini has done an awful job in the league the last year or two.

Deservedly getting the bullet, but a gentleman and the way it was done was handled badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good result for City. Think too many people were expecting a PSG win because they walked over a poor Chelsea team. Can't see them getting any further though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Well deserved for City over the 2 legs, made PSG look very poor.

Only downside was it was a poor game

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Not true afaik

So can we have 6 Enlish teams then I was asking as I was hoping to get a conclusive answer not a not true

Edit. Have the answer now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Shows how city can survive without Toure. In fact Toure has been a deadweight abit this year but he was always fiest on team sheet.

No, just 4th. Max of 5 allowed from 1 country.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Well done City, deserved it over the two legs.

Would love to see them get to the Final

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

But not a great manager which is the only thing that really matters.Being classy in sport is completely over rated.Ferguson and Mourihno are pricks of the highest order (when it comes to management) but it means nothing because they're great at what they do.I'd rather one of them any day over a nice guy who is good but not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Masala wrote: »
    Shows how city can survive without Toure. In fact Toure has been a deadweight abit this year but he was always fiest on team sheet.

A semi final v Pep's Bayern would get him interested

But not a great manager which is the only thing that really matters.Being classy in sport is completely over rated.Ferguson and Mourihno are pricks of the highest order (when it comes to management) but it means nothing because they're great at what they do.I'd rather one of them any day over a nice guy who is good but not great.
    I think he is a great manager.

What you are doing is comparing him to a standard that hardly anybody achieves. Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are in the top six or seven greatest managers of all time.

How many managers in the Premier league right now do you rate higher than him? How many in Europe?

I think he is a great manager.

What you are doing is comparing him to a standard that hardly anybody achieves. Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho are in the top six or seven greatest managers of all time.

How many managers in the Premier league right now do you rate higher than him? How many in Europe?

It all depends on how you define great.

I would say a number of coaches across Europe do better than he has done with this Man City team.They were handed the league the first year by Liverpool as well so he's been quiet lucky to have a league title under his belt.

Their defence has by and large been a mess for a while but surely a great coach would find some way of improving them.

I think there are quiet a decent number of coaches across Europe who would have achieved what he has achieved the problem is that they will never get a chance to prove that as management is a lot down to luck and getting a good job at the right time.

He done a good job at Villareal and Malaga but he's just the tier below great in my opinion.

I don't consider Mancini to be a great coach (just lucky with the circumstances he arrived in) and he basically achieved the same as Pelligrini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

This morning i realised that City - PSG is probably one of the worst football matches i have ever seen.
    And i have seen some ****.

So many players who couldnt pass a ball to their team mate 5 meters away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Equium

Regardless of the result this tie has to have been one of the worst champions league quarter finals in recent years.Atrociously bad quality in both legs.Really disappointing stuff from both teams.

Both sides were very poor when you consider the money spent to assemble their respective squads. PSG, who were missing a few key players, struggled to pass the ball forward with any degree of accuracy. They were slow, laborious and lacking a cutting edge in midfield.

City weren't much better over the two legs, mustering a total of 4 shots on target in 180 minutes. At least they had some fight in them, I suppose.

Overall I thought it was a hugely disappointing quarter final in terms of quality and entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

PSG were truly shocking. City deserved it

It all depends on how you define great.

I would say a number of coaches across Europe do better than he has done with this Man City team.They were handed the league the first year by Liverpool as well so he's been quiet lucky to have a league title under his belt.

Their defence has by and large been a mess for a while but surely a great coach would find some way of improving them.

I think there are quiet a decent number of coaches across Europe who would have achieved what he has achieved the problem is that they will never get a chance to prove that as management is a lot down to luck and getting a good job at the right time.

He done a good job at Villareal and Malaga but he's just the tier below great in my opinion.

I don't consider Mancini to be a great coach (just lucky with the circumstances he arrived in) and he basically achieved the same as Pelligrini.
    I'd love to hear the names of this number of coaches across Europe that are better than him and it's interesting that you couldn't even pick out one in the Premier league.

His record versus Mancini's record is a good one. He has a league title and two league cups while Mancini has a league title and an FA Cup.

Not much of a difference there but when you look at the Champion's league where Mancini only qualified for the knockout stages once and went out to a pretty ordinary Dynamo Kiev side you see a stark contrast.

Pellegrini's City have qualified every season for the knockout stages. This is his third season in charge of the club and to this point the only team to knock them out of Europe is Barcelona.

As I said earlier, if you only lose out in Europe to one of the big three then you are doing pretty well.

Also as far as the clubs transfer policy goes, it appears that Pellegrini has very little say about who is brought in.

I'd love to hear the names of this number of coaches across Europe that are better than him and it's interesting that you couldn't even pick out one in the Premier league.

His record versus Mancini's record is a good one. He has a league title and two league cups while Mancini has a league title and an FA Cup.

Not much of a difference there but when you look at the Champion's league where Mancini only qualified for the knockout stages once and went out to a pretty ordinary Dynamo Kiev side you see a stark contrast.

Pellegrini's City have qualified every season for the knockout stages. This is his third season in charge of the club and to this point the only team to knock them out of Europe is Barcelona.

As I said earlier, if you only lose out in Europe to one of the big three then you are doing pretty well.

Also as far as the clubs transfer policy goes, it appears that Pellegrini has very little say about who is brought in.

Benitez,Mourihnio,Wenger,Van Gaal managed in the league and are all better managers than him (admittedly 3 of them might be past their best but I'd still rank them all higher than Pelligrini over their careers).

Manicini is not that great a manger in my opinion and Pelligrini really hasn't done that much better than him.

Being a great manager is a very small group and he's not an elite manager just a rung below that in my opinion.

For me he's achieved the bare minimum with City in his time there and his record in the league the last 2 seasons has been quiet disappointing.

Benitez,Mourihnio,Wenger,Van Gaal managed in the league and are all better managers than him (admittedly 3 of them might be past their best but I'd still rank them all higher than Pelligrini over their careers).

Manicini is not that great a manger in my opinion and Pelligrini really hasn't done that much better than him.

Being a great manager is a very small group and he's not an elite manager just a rung below that in my opinion.

For me he's achieved the bare minimum with City in his time there and his record in the league the last 2 seasons has been quiet disappointing.
    Elite and great are two different things imo.

You still haven't named one manager in the EPL at this moment who is better than him.

You also haven't named one manager from Europe who is better than him.

• Advertisement

Elite and great are two different things imo.

You still haven't named one manager in the EPL at this moment who is better than him.

You also haven't named one manager from Europe who is better than him.

Simeone,Tuchel,Guardiola,Allegri,Klopp,Mourihno (when he gets a job again).

Ranieri at this moment is better than him in the EPL and I named managers earleir who are better than him overall but may be in a down period right now.You could probbaly add Hiddink to the list I made earlier aswell considering he's had a pretty successful career.

He's a good manager but I don't think he is great . A great manager would have done a lot better with City over the last 3 years in the league.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement