Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'''URGENT''' No claims discount query

• 12-04-2016 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi. Im looking for some information in relation to no claims discount.

I am a 40 year old male, no convictions, no penalty points and no claims, ever and ive recently got a new car insurance policy, paid my deposit and they also took 1st months payment. I posted off my no claims discount today and tis evening I was then told that they could not accept my no claims bonus as I had one year out of 8 insured on commercial. But they knew this as they accepted my quote and took a deposit along with the first months payment. They have now told me that they cant quote me at all. I was quoted €517 which I accepted and they agreed with all my documents until today. Plus, all other insurance companys are quoting €1,100 +. They also told me that they will reimburse me my money less €55 admin costs. Can they do this? And I need car insurance by tomorrow as I collect my new car.

Has this happened to anyone before and does anyone know who accepts commercial no claims bonus.

Many thanks
    Damien

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sounds a bit odd to be honest.

The only time Ive seen a commercially earned bonus being an issue is if it was earned on an artic or similar HGV.

If it was just a standard commercial (less than 3.5 tonne) earned in your own name then I dont know why its an issue.

Two questions, how long ago was the commercial policy in force?

When getting the quote did you do it over the phone and tell them specifically that one of the years was earned on a commercial vehicle?

If you did and they accepted it then its tough titties for them.

The calls are recorded so ask to speak to a manager/team lead, tell them you fully explained the situation with the bonus, the agent accepted it so they are obliged to honour it.

Some more details of the commercial bonus would be helpful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Damien555

thanks for replying.

Firstly my commercial insurance was up in August 2014. this is not an issue as I have until August this year to use my no claims bonus.

I had insurance on a small VW Golf van.

I had originally done my quote online and then I spoke with them on the phone. gave them all the details and I was told I had 10 days to get in my bonus. which I did today.

Damien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's crazy op.

Hope you just keep at them.

Damien555 wrote: »
    thanks for replying.

Firstly my commercial insurance was up in August 2014. this is not an issue as I have until August this year to use my no claims bonus.

I had insurance on a small VW Golf van.

I had originally done my quote online and then I spoke with them on the phone. gave them all the details and I was told I had 10 days to get in my bonus. which I did today.

Damien

Ok, well I have no clue why there is an issue.

Im presuming its a broker you are dealing with?

Id push back at them, ask to speak to a manager, tell them you want the call listened to, tell them they are obliged to honour the quote as you provided all the information and request from them, in writing, why there is an issue with the one year on the car van.

They are talking out of their hole imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Damien555

cheers and thanks for your help. I will give them a ring tomorrow morning. Just have no idea why all of a sudden its an issue. 123 insurance is who I rang and they had originally accepted everything but declined it today when they received my bonus. There reason was that they said they don't accept commercial bonus or driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cheers and thanks for your help. I will give them a ring tomorrow morning. Just have no idea why all of a sudden its an issue. 123 insurance is who I rang and they had originally accepted everything but declined it today when they received my bonus. There reason was that they said they don't accept commercial bonus or driving.

Wonder did someone read it as all commercial?

Doesn't make sense to me. Ask to speak to a manager first and foremost and see what they say, if they persist with the "we dont accept commercial bonus" line then tell them you want to know why, if declining to quote they have to give a valid reason so dont be afraid to be pushy.

The thing is though, excluding that one year, you still have 7 years claims free on private motor policies, correct?

Id tell them that they can accept the 7 year privately earned bonus and disregard the 1 year on the commercial if they are not budging.

Advertisement