Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clean oil in the engine bay?

• 12-04-2016 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

I'm an idiot...I filled my car with oil this morning and after a about and hour or so of driving the smell of oil was overpowering. I have just opened my bonnet to find I forgot to replace the oil cap. My engine bay is full of oil. It's dripping everywhere. Have I done any permanent damage? Is there anything I should do now or do I just let the oil dry out and eventually burn off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Harcrid

First thing to do is check the oil level and see where it is at. That will give you an indication on whether there was potentially any damage done. I have forgotten to put the oil cap on myself in the past and had the same outcome with no damage. I had the engine bay cleaned as it will never be the same again otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try to remove it from the auxillary belt and pullies if any has got on to this. Baby wipes are good at removing it. I did it before myself, leaves a mess but shouldn't do any harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Refill car with oil.

There are various degreasers you can buy that will break down oil.
    Use one of these at a garage with a jet lance and then clean engine bay.

You can also get a pro to clean the engine if that's an option, or if you're not used to DIY your car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Tin of brake cleaner will clean a lot of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Would a steam cleaning remove the oil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Probably, you may want to use a degreaser anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

j14 wrote: »
    Would a steam cleaning remove the oil?

Yes but be careful, wrap all electronic parts of the engine in plastic or clingfilm, particuary the ECU. If it was me I would use the wipes, the steam cleaner might do more harm than good.

Advertisement