Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

move to cork

Options
  • 12-04-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello all

We would like to move from Italy in Cork. We need more deep info about the way of life,areas that are really interesting to live, food habits e.tc It would be very help full to skype or chat by messenger or by email with someone who is willing to share his thoughts.
    Thank's again to all for their help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Much would depend on your circumstances. Are you a couple? Do you have children? Do you hope to rent or to buy? What size of house/apartment are you looking for? Do you hope to work? Have you been to Cork before?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try the Italians in Cork on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/corkonians

• Registered Users Posts: 5 panos1800

Hi overmantle thanks for your answer.

Are you a couple? YES
    Do you have children? YES he's study in the US, he is 20 yo.
    Do you hope to rent or to buy? RENT
    What size of house/apartment are you looking for? 70-80 mq.
    Do you hope to work? YES WE WOULD LIKE TO ESTABLISH A WORK
    Have you been to Cork before? YES we have been some months ago but we
    didn't stay much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

invest in a very good umbrella ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It's a difficult question to answer as we don't know what lifestyle you like. Do you want to live in the city center, suburbs or in the countryside? Close to the sea? Do you plan on having a car here? If not, you should know public transport services are quite limited outside the city center & suburbs.

Finding a place to rent (or buy) in Cork city is a nightmare right now (and has been for a few years). I work with a large multi-national and the biggest problem new members of our team have had (coming from various countries in the EU) is finding a nice place to rent. What line of work are you in (if you don't mind my asking)? There's a strong IT industry in Cork.

I believe there's a fairly strong Italian community in Cork (certainly plenty of Italians where I work :)). Cork is very strong on the food front with great restaurants and cafes. Plus you have the English market which is great for fresh and local produce.

Once you move outside the city center, the pros/cons of different area varies greatly... too much to go into in a post.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot Bacchus.

We plan to live near the city. We will not have a car for the first period.
    I am not Italian even if i live in Italy. We had an advertising company
    in Turin. My parents had restaurants and practically i grow up in the middle
    of restaurants.

In which company do you work ( if you don't mind).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

panos1800 wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Bacchus.

We plan to live near the city. We will not have a car for the first period.
    I am not Italian even if i live in Italy. We had an advertising company
    in Turin. My parents had restaurants and practically i grow up in the middle
    of restaurants.

In which company do you work ( if you don't mind).

There's plenty of suburbs to choose from with public transport links to the city center. Douglas and Ballintemple/Blackrock are nice areas. Wilton/Bishopstown are also good spots, they're between the two colleges (UCC & CIT) and the main Cork hospital is there so it's well serviced with public transport. I'm sure others will be able to recommend different areas. I emphasis again though that finding a place to rent is tricky and rents are climbing all the time. You should have a look at daft.ie and get a feel for what is available in Cork.

I work for EMC so I'm a big tech nerd :p Work in the IT sector in Cork is booming but I can't really comment on other sectors. The general feeling is that Cork is recovering from the downturn and more jobs are becoming available in the services sector (you mention restaurants) as people have a bit more cash to spend. Cork fancies itself as a food capital so there is a relatively good appreciation for good food, wine, beers, coffee, etc. here - even if my Italian colleagues think we pale in comparison to the magnificence of Italian cuisine :pac:

thanks again Bacchus

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

You will need a car pretty quickly, Irish public transport is not as developed as large European cities.

Irish wages seem high, but taxes and indirect taxes (car/health insurance) are also very high, I work with Spanish people who are (unpleasantly) surprised by cost of living in comparison to Spain.

Cork (& the areas around it) are lovely, but is expensive to live in, and is not a large city (pop. 120,000), so there are limits to what you can expect. Cork people would also have a reputation for being difficult to become friendly with, but this is more of an Irish thing, we are not as sociable as Southern Europeans so bear it in mind that it will not be easy to make friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You will need a car pretty quickly, Irish public transport is not as developed as large European cities.

Irish wages seem high, but taxes and indirect taxes (car/health insurance) are also very high, I work with Spanish people who are (unpleasantly) surprised by cost of living in comparison to Spain.

Cork (& the areas around it) are lovely, but is expensive to live in, and is not a large city (pop. 120,000), so there are limits to what you can expect. Cork people would also have a reputation for being difficult to become friendly with, but this is more of an Irish thing, we are not as sociable as Southern Europeans so bear it in mind that it will not be easy to make friends.

The City Council population is as above, it does not include for the vast areas of the suburbs that are actually in the County area so the correct figure is up towards 400,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Cork people would also have a reputation for being difficult to become friendly with, but this is more of an Irish thing, we are not as sociable as Southern Europeans so bear it in mind that it will not be easy to make friends.

I am a blow-in also, and found Cork people friendly, easy going and sociable. Very warm and it is not hard to make friends but it depends very hard on where you work and how much effort you put in to integrating in the society as soon as possible.

Rents have climbed up in recent years, unfortunately. I don't know how much planning you have done, and what exactly you are thinking of doing. Try to do as much research as possible, obviously.

Good luck.

BTW, is this is a Greek name in your username, there is a growing Greek community here...

Advertisement