Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Code institute Dublin

Options
  • 12-04-2016 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hello, I was hoping to talk to anyone that has completed the coding boot camp that is offered by the code institute in Dublin, whether they thought it was worth the cost and if it actually led to any employment, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

coding is a huge area. what are you wanting to learn ?

4 1/2 k on a course. you could go to a proper college for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pretty sure it's the Digital Morketing Institute under a different name. For that sort of money you should ask them what awarding body issues their qualifications. I reckon the answer is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 padger

Yeah, those are the kind of things I'm thinking, wanted to hear from someone that has done it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Grandslammer

I went to an open evening for Code Institute a few weeks ago. It is the same company as Digital Marketing Institute, and they have no official awarding body although they said hat they are in the process of applying for it.

While the contents of the course did seem very good, they kept calling me for weeks afterwards wanting me to pay €4500 to them to do the online version of the course (the classroom version is €7000 and both courses cover the exact same content). These constant, pestering phone calls were a total turn off for me as they were only looking for my money.

I have since found an excellent Full Stack course online which I got on sale for around €15 and I am doing that at the moment.

Feel free to ask me any questions about Code Institute and I will be happy to answer them as best I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 adama89

I have since found an excellent Full Stack course online which I got on sale for around €15 and I am doing that at the moment.

Can you post a link for this Full Stack course? I'm giving Python a go on codecademy but could be just wasting my time.

I am also looking into this Code Institute, very apprehensive about spending €4500 + though. Padger, have you heard anything more about the bootcamp?

I come from an IT background, no certifications but a lot of experience in different aspects of IT. Even if I become an expert in Python, what are the chances of getting a job in it?

• Advertisement

adama89 wrote: »
    Can you post a link for this Full Stack course?

Here's the course: udemy.com/the-complete-web-developer-course-2/

What do you think?

Looks great actually! Thanks. It looks like a solid foundation, I'd say you'll know what to research in future when it comes to the more advanced theory not covered here.

How long has you been doing this one? How are you dealing with the discipline of actually sitting down to do something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Here's the course: udemy.com/the-complete-web-developer-course-2/

What do you think?

Try https://www.freecodecamp.com/map instead. It has the structure and support to keep you motivated. I find it has helped me to step back and have a go with CodeAcademy/Udemy/YouTube when I find myself getting a little bit stuck.

I finished HTML and CSS and I've done a bit of Javascript. Haven't done any of it for a while but I keep meaning to come back to it. Personally I find it very difficult.

If you decide to do it yourself let me know and we could maybe do it together or something.

Will do man, I'm looking at a tonne of different options and will try and settle on one in the next few days. I'll let you know what I come up with

• Advertisement

Thanks Kenny Logins, you're always there for me!

adama89 wrote: »
    Will do man, I'm looking at a tonne of different options and will try and settle on one in the next few days. I'll let you know what I come up with

Sound I'll be interested to know! As I say if you like the "study buddy" idea I would be happy to partner with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Hi guys,

Just wanted to follow up here. I'm thinking of a career change and am considering learning to code. There seems to be a lot of opportunities in the area.

I came across the Code Institute, they now appear to be accredited through the Edinburgh Napier University and claim to be the only accredited boot camp in Europe. Also claiming that graduates have 94% employment within 12 weeks!

Did your research or experience give you any other information on the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MontyJava

I think this course is suited to people already working in IT, very difficult to get employed on the strength of doing a course in 12 weeks. Any good reviews I've seen on it are indeed from past students, who happen to be now employed by the code institute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Been a few weeks but thought I'd add my thoughts. They advertised a free bootcamp morning about 10 days ago for this morning. I registered. Got a notification to say I was registered etc. Got a follow up e-mail asking me to reconfirm as they had a lot of demand. Grand, I did. Got another e-mail to the same effect.

Got a few more e-mails about how great it is, and what I'd learn. Got another e-mail asking me to complete a survey to guarantee registration. Missed this one however and only when I went to reconfirm the times did I see this one. Got another e-mail saying I was no longer registered and another 2 or 3 about how great Code Institute is.

Now they may be very good, but they are clearly guilty of just spamming people. They moved the goalposts and registration requirements twice after the initial registration. They answered e-mails with what looked like vague, marketing pre-written emails. I'd say if I kept writing, I'd get the same responses eventually.

I was talking about it with a lecturer in computing in a Dublin third level institute. He said they'r keeping a very close eye on it as it's potentially game changing for people looking to go back to education for reskill and could lose traditional colleges/unis a lot of revenue.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Been a few weeks but thought I'd add my thoughts. They advertised a free bootcamp morning about 10 days ago for this morning. I registered. Got a notification to say I was registered etc. Got a follow up e-mail asking me to reconfirm as they had a lot of demand. Grand, I did. Got another e-mail to the same effect.

Got a few more e-mails about how great it is, and what I'd learn. Got another e-mail asking me to complete a survey to guarantee registration. Missed this one however and only when I went to reconfirm the times did I see this one. Got another e-mail saying I was no longer registered and another 2 or 3 about how great Code Institute is.

They held another free bootcamp morning today (7th January 2017) which I attended purely out of curiosity. It was an absolute joke and a total disorganized mess. They sent me several emails in the week before the bootcamp and several more the morning of the bootcamp reminding me etc...

The people attending the bootcamp seemed to be from different skill levels, including absolute beginners. They only covered basic HTML and CSS in the bootcamp, both of which I am already comfortable with. Many of the beginners were getting lost pretty much from the start, and many of them gave up trying to follow along and decided to just watch the webinar video. They asked us to download and install Sublime Text beforehand.

The operations manager who was on the webinar, who I will not mention by name, was extremely cringey and hipsterish. He has the most annoying accent - half American, half Irish hipster. He's also the guy who sends out the spammy emails and stuff. At one point he put a poll in the webinar, asking "Is Harry Potter Cool?", with the only possible answers being "Yes" or "Absolutely" - see screenshot, right hand side of page http://imgur.com/a/Qohjt. It was at this point that I physically facepalmed...

The actual teaching part of the webinar was conducted by their head mentor (a former Google employee - why he left Google to join Code Institute is a mystery). He flew through the content, just to get it finished as it had become clear that some of the attendees were just going to watch the video at this stage without following along.

The webinar finished with the obligatory sales pitch from the operations manager, followed by a Q&A. There was a countdown timer on the right hand side for people to request a "free strategy call" (meaning a call to discuss what is the best way to get your money into Code Institute's bank account). See screenshot http://imgur.com/a/4MnaQ

I was very interested in Code Institute earlier this year, but lost interest due to their spamming marketing tactics and their constant emails and phone calls. I also personally can't stand the cringey, hipster attitude of the place.

Advertisement