Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return afforested area to grassland

Options
  • 12-04-2016 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I hope you can help with this query.
    In 2012 I put 8 hectares under the afforestation scheme (mix of SS and Oak). In hindsight I regret not leaving 3 hectares in grassland but plan to do so now. The land is of good quality. I have yet to contact the forestry service of my wish to do so. Has anyone been in this position in the recent past? I have tried looking for information on the procedure but does not appear to me much information on the subject. Would appreciate your input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

We bought our way out of a scheme in 2011. The plantation was only a year in (planted by previous owner). We repaid the plantation grant and the first year's premium and that took care of it. We did buy out of the complete plantation, there may be issues with trying to exit only a portion of it, as in your case. Your forestry advisor or the Forest Service can give you the details. I believe that after ten years, you are locked in for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Target 1

Thanks for that. Yeah I had heard that 10 years is the point of no return. How long did the process take? Did you have to pay the grant and premium back up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭accidental forester

Without checking records, I think it only took a couple of weeks. We did have to reimburse the funds with the application.

Advertisement