Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Den DVDs?

• 12-04-2016 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

Was watching a few videos for nostalgia on YouTube tonight and it really was class for its time! Is there any DVDs with all the best bits compiled together? The Christmas and Halloween specials in particular

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

any links please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

dball wrote: »
    any links please??

http://youtu.be/Y0S1VmlHb0Y

That never gets old. Tv just isn't the same anymore. Glad I was a kid back then and not this overly PC peppa pig horse manure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They probably did what happened to old episodes of Glenroe, they recorded over the old tapes to cut down on costs despite the fact that each episode cost tens of thousands to produce they couldn't finance blank tapes to record future shows, typical RTÉ, the mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

In fairness it was a daily show that was there more as glorified presentation than than anything else. While I could see a market for a 'Best Bits' DVD, I don't know if there's a real market for a 'seasons' type collection.

That being said, it was great TV. It's not common I think that secondary schoolers and college students would hapilly sit down watching something like The Den. That was what happened though and the cartoons they showed, Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain etc. were great. They winged it and pushed the bounds. Telly like that has died really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

They probably did what happened to old episodes of Glenroe, they recorded over the old tapes to cut down on costs despite the fact that each episode cost tens of thousands to produce they couldn't finance blank tapes to record future shows, typical RTÉ, the mind boggles.

In fairness why in Gods name would they want to keep old episodes of Glenroe ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I went through a phase of watching old clips on Youtube. It's TV gold. I was too young at the time to fully appreciate it, but it must have been required viewing for every stoner in the land. Some of the off the cuff stuff they would come out with was priceless, you could se Ray was struggling to keep it together most of the time. Properly surreal and irreverent stuff: they were inspired, we won't see their likes again. I'd love to see RTE give them their due in some way or another.

Highlights:

- Mary Robinson meets Dustin, " Ah the bould Mowser!".

- Ray fighting Ted. Every.Single.Time. I still can't fully dislike the, man because of this., Ah the memories! Not that I can take him seriously either; whenever he's on the TV or the radio talking about something meaningful - usually cancer or depression - in my minds eye I can still see him going toe to toe with a stuffed Panda. Just bate middle aged despair the way you bated Ted Ray!

- Podge in his guise as the local postman. Ohhhh, it used to make my blood boil how they couldn't figure his game out. It used to do my nut in - "It's Podge, you idiots!". Then when he set up poor idiot Zig to take the fall for breaking Ray's Pierre De Plonk (remember?) clock... I love that when I look back at it; how they were willing to egg the kids of Ireland into a frenzy of frustration, because it was involving and entertaining. Nowadays it wouldn't happen, it'd be considered too potentially distrestful. Podge was a really interesting character, he had a genuine air of menace or evil about him - with his weird face and the fact that he clearly loved being nasty, he did for the craic! - again, you wouldn't see that now, which is a pity because kids love that stuff! More terror for the childers, I say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

In fairness the BBC did the same thing, hundreds of episodes of shows which would have a rewatch value now for DVD's or re-runs like Doctor Who, and the Peter Cook and Dudey Moore show "Not Only but Also" in fact the deletion of that was particularly ridiculous as Peter Cook had offered to buy the BBC new tapes so they wouldn't have to replace the originals.

A slight tangent but the point is the idea of a future DVD/Cable Re-Run Chanel's/Streaming services just didn't occur to RTE, the BBC and presumably many other broadcasters.

Also they have have recently given the Zig and Zag lads a new kids TV show, it probably wont be the same but its nice to thing of them having an impact on a new generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

squonk wrote: »
    While I could see a market for a 'Best Bits' DVD,.

There is one. I picked it up a few months ago for a euro in Gamestop or somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

http://youtu.be/Y0S1VmlHb0Y

That never gets old. Tv just isn't the same anymore. Glad I was a kid back then and not this overly PC peppa pig horse manure.

I've never heard people complain that Peppa Pig is PC. An annoying f*cking irritating bag of dung? Yes. Overly PC? New to me that one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭briany

Arghus wrote: »
    I went through a phase of watching old clips on Youtube. It's TV gold. I was too young at the time to fully appreciate it, but it must have been required viewing for every stoner in the land. Some of the off the cuff stuff they would come out with was priceless, you could se Ray was struggling to keep it together most of the time. Properly surreal and irreverent stuff: they were inspired, we won't see their likes again. I'd love to see RTE give them their due in some way or another.

Highlights:

- Mary Robinson meets Dustin, " Ah the bould Mowser!".

- Ray fighting Ted. Every.Single.Time. I still can't fully dislike the, man because of this., Ah the memories! Not that I can take him seriously either; whenever he's on the TV or the radio talking about something meaningful - usually cancer or depression - in my minds eye I can still see him going toe to toe with a stuffed Panda. Just bate middle aged despair the way you bated Ted Ray!

- Podge in his guise as the local postman. Ohhhh, it used to make my blood boil how they couldn't figure his game out. It used to do my nut in - "It's Podge, you idiots!". Then when he set up poor idiot Zig to take the fall for breaking Ray's Pierre De Plonk (remember?) clock... I love that when I look back at it; how they were willing to egg the kids of Ireland into a frenzy of frustration, because it was involving and entertaining. Nowadays it wouldn't happen, it'd be considered too potentially distrestful. Podge was a really interesting character, he had a genuine air of menace or evil about him - with his weird face and the fact that he clearly loved being nasty, he did for the craic! - again, you wouldn't see that now, which is a pity because kids love that stuff! More terror for the childers, I say!

There's another clip where Dustin goes into this bizarre rant about his football team, the Rasher Gammon Select XI. By the time he's finished both Zig and Podge (in his Roger Egdop disguise) are just there, stunned by what they'd heard and Zig eventually goes, "Why.....why is he (Dustin) on television?". Podge backs this sentiment up, "Why is he on!!" :D

Advertisement