Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on another persons job while still doing my own?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in a pretty small company. I was very comfortable with my job, but do admit that I always ended up with a bit of free time each day(I would offer to help other people in my department at those times).

I work 36 hours per week and my own work on a typical week would only take about 30 hours I'd say. Another person in a different department was recently let go. My manager informed me I would be taking over their duties as well as keeping up with my own. The other person worked 30 hours a week. I am still only working 36.

The other job is completely different to my own work and I have no experience in it. I received 4 hours of training from the person who was leaving. I have no clue what I am doing and am very concerned about making mistakes and getting the company and myself in to trouble. There is no one else here that knows how to do this work. I assumed my boss did, but apparently not.

I have expressed how I do not think I have enough training/time to do this extra work, but all I am getting is a few hours of help from interns (which is next to useless as I don't know what I am doing myself, so it's not as if I can teach them) and no proper solution.
    My original work is starting to suffer too due to lack of time.

My contract states that I will work in any department. I guess I stupidly thought of that as helping out with easier tasks in busy periods.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Grab all the intern hours you can get , train them to do your existing job so you can concentrate on your new role.

Advertisement