Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Gardai ignoring cannabis in Dublin or what?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Just asking because I see (or more often smell) somebody smoking it publicly almost every day now, especially around Parnell Street. Seems like nobody cares.

Are the Gardai ignoring it in favour of higher priority substances?

(Not looking for comment on the rights and wrongs of people smoking it, nor on whether it should be legal or not. Just wondering why it's suddenly so common to smell it in the streets of Dublin).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

One can only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

Well, if they are choosing not to actively pursue arrests I wish they'd at least push it out of the streets. It reeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

amdgilmore wrote: »
    Well, if they are choosing not to actively pursue arrests I wish they'd at least push it out of the streets. It reeks.

Jays, don't ever go to Amsterdam!

I was there last week! Can't really complain about it over there, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

Completely open heroin dealing seems to be ignored all around Amiens St./Sean McDermott St./Summerhill, so I expect the aul wacky tobaccy ranks even further down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Not as bad as the rubbish strewn around parts of the north inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

@ OP : First world problems?

Oh, the humanity!

Not your ornery onager

Completely open heroin dealing seems to be ignored all around Amiens St./Sean McDermott St./Summerhill, so I expect the aul wacky tobaccy ranks even further down the list.
    Canadel wrote: »
    Not as bad as the rubbish strewn around parts of the north inner city.

Maybe we're all just talking about the same thing: neglect of the north inner city. Even on the cannabis thing, while I see it elsewhere, it's way more frequent in the Parnell Street area.
    Esel wrote: »
    @ OP : First world problems?

Well, yes, that's where I live so those are mostly the types of problems that I have. Thanks for asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People smoke joints on the streets more openly these days. Saw some young lads looking at backpacks outside the camping shop on Mary Street yesterday. They were discussing the merits of the different bags and passing a joint back and forth between them. Not a bother on them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A trader on Moore St I know often has a joint on the go, not a bother on him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Maybe we're all just talking about the same thing: neglect of the north inner city. Even on the cannabis thing, while I see it elsewhere, it's way more frequent in the Parnell Street area.

Well, yes, that's where I live so those are mostly the types of problems that I have. Thanks for asking.

There is open dealing on Westmoreland St, which is one of the expensive parts of the city. Dublin is a city and there is social issues regardless of whether the area is full of tenements or luxury apartments

I have walked through that area and it is generally residents of the houses smoking it. You cant really tell a resident, that you dont like the smell of and they shouldnt smoke in their home. Should the Garda go door to door asking people not to smoke?

newacc2015 wrote: »
    There is open dealing on Westmoreland St, which is one of the expensive parts of the city. Dublin is a city and there is social issues regardless of whether the area is full of tenements or luxury apartments

I have walked through that area and it is generally residents of the houses smoking it. You cant really tell a resident, that you dont like the smell of and they shouldnt smoke in their home. Should the Garda go door to door asking people not to smoke?

I work in the area, I'm there every day. It's generally people smoking it on the streets. I'm sure they're doing it indoors too but I don't care about that.

Also, while it's true that drug dealing happens everywhere, you're kidding yourself if you think it's not multiple times more common in the north inner city and in low-income areas.

That's not a commentary on the character of the people, just a result of decades of neglect and poverty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

newacc2015 wrote: »
    There is open dealing on Westmoreland St, which is one of the expensive parts of the city.

I dunno, it's a bit of a kippy street these days, maybe it always was. It's like an O'Connell st extension really. KFCs and Centras. I wish those Carroll's gift stores were outlawed, **shudder**.

Weed on the streets? Get over it OP! Also with the heroin addicts dealing etc. I guess they must just ignore them and let them get on with it. You can't really blame the Gardai though, it's more down to legislation and budgets, arresting people for small time heroin dealing probably isn't worth anybody's while.

Weed on the streets? Get over it OP!

Get over what? I asked a question.

It's true I don't personally enjoy getting the stench of it on my way to and from work every day, but like I said in the first post I'm not interested in debating the rights or wrongs of it.

Get over what? I asked a question.

It's true I don't personally enjoy getting the stench of it on my way to and from work every day, but like I said in the first post I'm not interested in debating the rights or wrongs of it.

Oh well it could be worse. In my teens in the 90s my buses to school (especially the route 27) were constantly stinking from people smoking hash upstairs, weed wasn't as plentiful back then. And cigarettes. Does that still go on these days?

Oh well it could be worse. In my teens in the 90s my buses to school (especially the route 27) were constantly stinking from people smoking hash upstairs, weed wasn't as plentiful back then. And cigarettes. Does that still go on these days?

You still get the odd gurrier having a sneaky cigarette at the back of the bus, but I've never noticed anything else. The bus drivers are surprisingly proactive about enforcing the rules.

You still get the odd gurrier having a sneaky cigarette at the back of the bus, but I've never noticed anything else. The bus drivers are surprisingly proactive about enforcing the rules.

They weren't in the past. Dublin is the only country in the world where I've experienced people doing this. People used to smoke on the Dart too all the time, although I never experienced this at rush hour. If you tried this carry on in London you'd be absolutely strung up by the authorities and people around you would freak out telling you to stop, I never saw that happen here.

Probably because in Dublin the kind of guy who's lighting a cigarette on the bus is the kind of guy who's hoping somebody will confront him.

The bus drivers do usually stop the bus and come up and tell them to stop though.

Advertisement