Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security at airports

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

and if people have a lax attitude or a "you dont scare us!" attitude what does that lead to .... does it save lives?

It doesn't save lives but it means that the terrorists have lost part of the battle. The whole point of terrorism is to frighten people into staying in bed. The Paris attacks where at a concert and recently in Pakistan a park. The Israelis have metal detectors and security on the door of nearly every business, so now they are being stabbed in the street.

If we wanted to save lives we'd spend more on suicide prevention. Terrorism statistically doesn't kill that many people yet we spend much more against a low level treat while not dealing with much bigger killers and serious health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

We should build a wall. Get Saudi Arabia to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Birmingham Airport's had armed police patrols around the terminals for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

brummytom wrote: »
    Birmingham Airport's had armed police patrols around the terminals for years now.

I doubt armed police on patrol would make much difference to a suicide bomber who was intent on getting his 72 virgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Memnoch wrote: »
    We should build a wall. Get Saudi Arabia to pay for it.
    They already have a wall. It has deflected every single Syrian refugee so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

BKtje wrote: »
    The standard swiss army knife is actually allowed on planes in your carry on. There is a certain size of blade that is allowed. Was with a friend who had forgotten be had it in his bag, they took it out, controlled the blade length and have it back to him.

Well, I cant be quite sure of its dimensions at this point but the third security agent was sure it was prohibited.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

Wife has come back from a weekend away - flew from Dublin to Birmingham. So I asked her what was the security like now at the airports she passed through. I asked was there any security before getting to check-in desk now after the Brussels attack and she said there wasn't and that anyone can walk into check-in without any security measures in place whether your flying or not.

So , in the light of what happened the other week in Brussels , do you reckon airports across the globe should have checks and scans before even walking into terminal building ... or would that be too over the top or knee jerk reaction?

Airports are practically impossible to secure. The size of the buildings, the size of the perimeter, the countless business and staff from myriad different companies. You could throw on a pair of overalls and a name tag of some description and carry a clipboard and nobody would look twice at you. You could walk in the back door uninterrupted. If you've ever seen the staff at security you would know that if they weren't working this job they'd be pulling pints. Besides the whole airport security thing is an unecessary sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭DubDani

You would think that with all the technology that they have at their hands, that it won't be necessary to strip down to your undies to get through Security.

Dublin in my experience is extreme, in that you have to take off Belts, Shoes more often then not and 2 weeks ago they even asked me to take my hoodie off.

No other Airport has ever asked me to take off Shoes or Sweater etc., so always wondering why Dublin Airport thinks it is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

I won't be happy until they anal probe every passenger and any people who come to wave them off

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

DubDani wrote: »
    You would think that with all the technology that they have at their hands, that it won't be necessary to strip down to your undies to get through Security.

Dublin in my experience is extreme, in that you have to take off Belts, Shoes more often then not and 2 weeks ago they even asked me to take my hoodie off.

No other Airport has ever asked me to take off Shoes or Sweater etc., so always wondering why Dublin Airport thinks it is necessary.

The problem with belts is that the buckle triggers off the metal detector. Getting people to take them off just means less time spent frisking and speeds up the overall passage of people. Same with some shoes - I have a pair that triggers them off every time. Dunno abotu hoddies - perhaps it was made of tin-foil?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Why airports? The guy at the metro station took out more people than the two at the airport.

very good point - they have put very stringent security in the brussels airport now, but i woner what they have done at their metro stations, i didnt get to hear anything about them

Advertisement