Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Instructor

Options
  • 12-04-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Not sure which is the best forum for this question but here goes anyway ...

Does anyone have any insight on what opportunities are out there in becoming a Driving Instructor at the moment?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 LHPHB

Tough industry, I have cold called alot of Driving Instructors and ALOT of them are struggling for business, most of them are mid 40s, 50s and still relying on the Golden Pages model of business, but with so much competition its a tough industry. If you found a niche within that sector im sure you could do ok, like truck driving, what sort of expertise do you have currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Does seem like a really tough one to get into right now. At €30 an hour even if you're doing 8 hours a day (which seems pretty unrealistic) you're not coming out with much after expenses for what is likely to be a 10 hour day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

VincePP wrote:
    But facts rarely make a difference to racist people like yourself

Done it as a second job/part time before the A.D.I. was introduced. I tested under the D.I.R. set up.
    The biggest problem would be getting clients. Since its now mandatory for lessons before test loads of people are after getting into it, so unless you sign up to a big company (Airport driving school etc) you'll be doing well to have any income initially. Profit is difficult to accurately tally as costs can be high. You need specific insurance as well as dual controls and a good car. Added maintenance and fuel usage as well as depreciation will have to factor. You'll replace your passage front tyre regularly as it will get a lot of kerb rash also. It can be stressful at times if your student isn't getting something like clutch control or stopping smoothly, biting your lip is a big part of the job.

Call a few instructors in your area and see what they charge, then see how many lessons you'll need to give to make it profitable for you. Also remember even the busiest instructors don't have a 40 hour week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 robertcrew

I am doing a reduced ADI part 1 theory test as am using existing UK qualifications, could anyone explain what, road safety precepts and practices means, what questions are likely to be asked in this section and driving test procedure and documentation.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭crunchy62

Just opening this up again. My daughter recently took her first lesson. The instructor said he is out the door with business ... worth considering as a part-time career?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

crunchy62 wrote: »
    Just opening this up again. My daughter recently took her first lesson. The instructor said he is out the door with business ... worth considering as a part-time career?

My driving instructor, from many years ago now, is still very busy but he has a fantastic temperment and loves his job. However I've spoken to him with my business head on and its a tough gig. Margins arn't great and your costs are high e.g. Have a lesson in Bray and your next is in Clondalkin, there is a transition time there where you are burning fuel and not making any money. Repairs can be costly and do occur (Think clutch) and you have to keep the car in reasonably nick as its pretty much your advertising. Car wise, you need to keep it reasonably new as insurance is tight and expensive. He's worked full time for his retirement, I doubt you could make it work as a part time gig.

Two biggest things for me to consider would be:

- Are you actually a good driver? Can you stand back and say you have a passion for driving and want to convey this? Have you done more than just a standard driving test?

- Do you have the patience of a saint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Few things I've found when trying to arrange driving lessons.

1. Instructors are up the wall during business hours.
    2. Not many are accommodating with out of hours lessons which is what a lot of people need.
    3. Not many of advertise well enough for people to find them.

If you advertise well and are accommodating with hours I can't imagine you'd have trouble getting business.

Advertisement