Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair, Replace or Refund

Options
  • 12-04-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hi, My wife bought a Leap pad last week for our child. Everything was fine till I tried to use the forward facing camera to take a photo. The screen just freezes. Nothing works. I have to power it down and back up again to get the pad to work but if i try to use the forward facing camera again it just freezes again. I am going to bring it back at the weekend but want to know if I can demand a refund for a faulty device or do I have to accept it if they offer to repair or replace the device?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

not 100 % sure but as far as i know if its within 28 days a fault occurs you get a replacement ,if you only bought it and its allready broke it was faulty, best thing to do is ring shop and explain whats wrong before you go just to make sure they have another one to replace look up your rights on comsummer rights website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The shop get to decide the course of action. You don't have to accept it. You have the option of the small claims court but they will ask the shop how they offered to resolve the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You can "demand" anything you like but it's not going to get you very far. Requesting a refund may be a better course of action if you want the people in the shop to be helpful to your cause.

Anyway, theres no law that states they have to refund you straight away. The law only offers one of the three Rs. In practice, most places that sell such devices would have their own policy of offering refund/swaps if returned faulty (they may need to verify the fault) within 28 days.

I reckon you'll be OK, OP, just go easy with the demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

could be a simple software issue fixed in 20 mins. Go in and ask if they can sort it there and then, if they cant ask for a replacement. why would you want a refund after a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Thanks for all the replies. I wont be shouting down their necks or anything like that but just wanted to know if I am entitled to get a refund if I wanted it. The consumer website is not very clear (3r's and all that) if you are entitled to any one of the 3 or it's up to the shop to decide. I now know it's up to the shop. I want to change to an innotab but I dont think the shop sells them so I was going to try and get a refund and buy the innotab elsewhere. No harm in asking for a refund or see if they have an innotab and maybe exchange it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

sandra06 wrote: »
    not 100 % sure but as far as i know if its within 28 days a fault occurs you get a replacement ,

that is 100% false.

Some store may offer this as an ADDITIONAL policy but there is no right or entitlement to this whatsoever.

Normally if the person with the faulty item approaches in a proper and mannerly way, (as the OP is saying she will) the store will exceed the actual rights under consumer legislation.

But is someone goes in demanding something and quoting incorrect "law", the store will do the minimum required.

Same in most forms of life - if someone is nice, you are nice back.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

VincePP wrote: »
    that is 100% false.

Some store may offer this as an ADDITIONAL policy but there is no right or entitlement to this whatsoever.

Normally if the person with the faulty item approaches in a proper and mannerly way, (as the OP is saying she will) the store will exceed the actual rights under consumer legislation.

But is someone goes in demanding something and quoting incorrect "law", the store will do the minimum required.

Same in most forms of life - if someone is nice, you are nice back.
    wast 100% sure i know if you buy something in b and q they have a 60 day return policy ,,but as you said if your polite and friendly you get more

Be polite but firm, never raise yer voice and never insult or make persoanl gestures. The easiest resolution is generally looked for on both sides. My own experience anyway as a retailer and consumer. Never bring emotion into it eg my kid cant read or has no fingers, this is irrelevent. Simply I bought the table, the tablet isnt working, how can we fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ssmith6287 wrote:
    Be polite but firm, never raise yer voice and never insult or make persoanl gestures. The easiest resolution is generally looked for on both sides. My own experience anyway as a retailer and consumer. Never bring emotion into it eg my kid cant read or has no fingers, this is irrelevent. Simply I bought the table, the tablet isnt working, how can we fix this

I wish every customer could have your train of thought. It would make life much easier for all involved.

Iv worked in the game for long enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Just to update this, I was able to exchange the faulty Leap Pad for the Innotab.
    Thanks for all the advice above. I think it depends on the individual store how they want to proceed in relation to the 3 R's. As ssmith6287 said above be polite.

Advertisement