Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied and Computational Maths or Computer Science! Help please!

Options
  • 12-04-2016 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

So I will be starting college in September hopefully. In terms of a number one choice for the CAO, I am stuck between Applied and Computational Maths and Computer Science. I do higher level Maths and Applied Maths and I am looking to get a B1/A2 in both. I have always wanted to work as a software engineer. But I enjoy maths and applied maths and physics and I know that computer science does not really include a great deal of applied maths or physics. But I know that Applied and Computational Maths has all of that but in terms of computer science, it doesn't include a lot. But I am just going by my own knowledge of both courses. So if anyone knows anything about both subjects could you please tell me about it? With regards to modules, weekly hours of work, job outcomes etc.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Samurai12 wrote: »
    So I will be starting college in September hopefully. In terms of a number one choice for the CAO, I am stuck between Applied and Computational Maths and Computer Science. I do higher level Maths and Applied Maths and I am looking to get a B1/A2 in both. I have always wanted to work as a software engineer. But I enjoy maths and applied maths and physics and I know that computer science does not really include a great deal of applied maths or physics. But I know that Applied and Computational Maths has all of that but in terms of computer science, it doesn't include a lot. But I am just going by my own knowledge of both courses. So if anyone knows anything about both subjects could you please tell me about it? With regards to modules, weekly hours of work, job outcomes etc.....

Well if you want to work as a software engineer Applied and Computational Maths would be as useful as a business degree. The "Computational" aspect looks incidental, going by the modules (and there isn't a single programming module offered, though you could take one or two as electives, perhaps).

But you're right, there's no physics in computer science. There is some maths, but it feels a touch out of place. Software engineers deal with higher level languages, servers, command lines, testing and teamwork. Linear Algebra is an archaic aspect of university "computer science" courses where the emphasis was on the "science" bit (though if you plan to pursue certain computer science PhDs or development in computer graphics, maths can pretty necessary).

Looks like chalk and cheese time. Which do you want to pursue the most?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Thanks for the advice. Going off what you said it seems like I will most likely pursue computer science.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

Consider the BSc Business Analytics, as it is the application of mathematical techniques through the use of information technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

COmputer/Electrical Eng courses usually involve physics/applied maths and programming modules, maybe you should look into something on that side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

I have been researching other courses and there are some that may satisfy some of my requirements but at the moment Computer Engineering or Computer Science seem to be the best choices.

• Advertisement
Advertisement