Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panel kit for beginners

Options
  • 12-04-2016 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a solar panel kit?

I'd like to build something small. But I'd like to be able to make a sun tracker to maximise the panel efficiency. I've found several 'how to' website that use Arduinos and motors for X, Y movement.

Would something like THIS be suitable? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Just remember that you can only switch off a PV panel by covering it, as long as its exposed to light its always on

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Just remember that you can only switch off a PV panel by covering it, as long as its exposed to light its always on

I would add a battery bank so in theory the PV panel would keep them topped up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I would add a battery bank so in theory the PV panel would keep them topped up.

These panels only provide 5W.
    So they may not have the capacity to do enough topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

2011 wrote: »
    These panels only provide 5W.
    So they may not have the capacity to do enough topping up.

I haven't decided which kit to go for, hence my original post ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I haven't decided which kit to go for, hence my original post ;)

Well you need to start by determining the size and nature of the load. Once you have nailed this down then look at batteries, followed by charging requirements and finish by selecting the solar panels.

There is a logical sequence to be followed.
    You should not start by selecting the solar panels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement