Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structured Elective in Statistics?

Options
  • 12-04-2016 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭

Hi. I'm thinking of doing this during my four years as a science student. Could anyone who has done it before offer some feedback or opinions? How useful is it/will it be genuinely? Workload? Anything thoughts at all are welcome!

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

/tumbleweed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Ive got 1 more elective to do to complete it. Workload is fine if you like statistics. You'll know after the 1st 1 or 2 modules how u feel about it.

Its easy enuf to get good grades in them, and thats coming from someone that never did any stats at all before starting in ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Thanks gline. What made you decide to do the elective?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Dair76 wrote: »
    Thanks gline. What made you decide to do the elective?

I'm doing physics and didnt want to go too far out of that stream, statistics looked like it would be useful in physics. Also statistics seemed interesting when I read the descriptions of the modules.

I ended up doing STAT10050 and STAT10060 in first year (before I knew about structured electives, or maybe it wasnt a thing then) and from then on, it was a no brainer to do the rest of the structured elective. STAT10140 is VERY easy compared to STAT10050, so do that first and it will give you a bit of an idea if you will be interested in pursuing it further. I havent done STAT20070 yet, thats for next year. The stats modules I have done so far are easy enough to do well in, if you put a bit of time in, which is easy in 1st or 2nd year to do.

I am not sure how useful having the structured electives on your cv is going to be. I dont know anyone that has finished with the structured electives yet. I would be interested to know if it makes any difference when applying for positions also.

Just a note aswell. My maths was terrible when I started, so you dont have to have a good level for these modules going in. They pretty much start from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

gline wrote: »
    I'm doing physics and didnt want to go too far out of that stream, statistics looked like it would be useful in physics. Also statistics seemed interesting when I read the descriptions of the modules.

I ended up doing STAT10050 and STAT10060 in first year (before I knew about structured electives, or maybe it wasnt a thing then) and from then on, it was a no brainer to do the rest of the structured elective. STAT10140 is VERY easy compared to STAT10050, so do that first and it will give you a bit of an idea if you will be interested in pursuing it further. I havent done STAT20070 yet, thats for next year. The stats modules I have done so far are easy enough to do well in, if you put a bit of time in, which is easy in 1st or 2nd year to do.

I am not sure how useful having the structured electives on your cv is going to be. I dont know anyone that has finished with the structured electives yet. I would be interested to know if it makes any difference when applying for positions also.

Just a note aswell. My maths was terrible when I started, so you dont have to have a good level for these modules going in. They pretty much start from scratch.

STAT20070 is... extremely easy. Its a core module for my course and the only stat module we take and to say its easy is an understatement, especially in your case with all the other stat modules. Enjoy the easy credits hah

• Advertisement
Advertisement