Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in the USA - VAT

Options
  • 13-04-2016 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thought this might be the best place to get some advice. I will be buyin some second hand technology equipment for a start up business in the near future. All purchase will be made directly from bricks and mortar large stores/companies and not from private individuals. The market for such products is much larger in the UK and USA and therefore the price is lower.

I know when buying from the UK I can simply provide my VAT number and I won't be charged the 20% VAT included in the advertised price.

What I am wondering is what is the case in the USA or more specifically New York?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

sdevine89 wrote: »
    What I am wondering is what is the case in the USA or more specifically New York?
    You are talking about NY State sales tax, correct? 4.5% I think.

If you have the items shipped out of state, to another state, you will pay no taxes to NY, but will incur shipping costs. Perhaps, the same is true for out of country.

You may wish to see if the items may be found in NJ in an Urban Enterprise Zone (UEZ). UEZ tax rates are usually fractional of the State.

Will you be requiring guarantees or warranties? If not, perhaps, the offer of a cash payment will help ease the taxes. If you pay cash, you're saving them the credit card percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

If you buy a laptop (or whatever) for 100 euro from the US when it arrives in Ireland it will be inspected by customs and you will be charged (a) inspection fee, (b) VAT and (c) duty. You have to pay it then can reclaim/offset the VAT afterwards. Not sure about duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You'd need to check the price difference very carefully.
    Remember to factor in the shipping price plus all the customs + duty.
    It can get very expensive very quickly.

Advertisement