Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing car to Ireland from New Zealand

• 13-04-2016 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

A friend of mine brought his car from england to Aus, ( nothing special but he'd just bought it) ,he got a half shipping container from a moving company and filled it with all his stuff ,car included... you'll probably have to pay VRT too...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tax will be €710, as it's a 2L. The bigger problem would be getting a reasonable insurance quote when you land it, a 2l turbo from any source is going to involve bending over and they don't use lube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Markcheese wrote: »
    A friend of mine brought his car from england to Aus, ( nothing special but he'd just bought it) ,he got a half shipping container from a moving company and filled it with all his stuff ,car included... you'll probably have to pay VRT too...
    VRT exemption if you own the car longer than 6 months and have lived out of the country for 12...would that not apply here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have a bunch of receipts you should be ok for VRT so.

Insurance is another matter. You can ring a few insurer with the details and see what they will quote you.
    Also try online like www.chill.ie

We're probably talking 2/3 grand for first year insurance since I suspect you have no NCB either.

We still haven't looked at shipping costs for the car from NZ to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Yup. I've owned the car for nearly 2 years. Been away from home nearly 3.

VRT will be fine but you will have to pay VAT and (any) import duties. Further you'll have to ensure that it's road legal for EU based on its age. If the model was imported into Europe, you'd be able to get a certificate of conformity. Otherwise I think it's an engineer's job after you've imported and paid the VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It does sound like a lot but personally I think it would be worth it... It's an amazing car that feels and looks much younger than it is. Plus there is very little if any Legacy Gt's in Ireland. Would my NCB from here not be valid in Ireland?

Not NCB won't follow, you'll be a first time driver trying to insure a performance car. What's the car worth over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Years ago a friend of mine brought a 1 year old Outlander back from NZ via container. I think it cost $3,000 NZ to ship and took 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Del2005 wrote: »
    Not NCB won't follow

why not? Another unique irish insurance quirk? My NCB transferred from Irl to NZ no problem.
    My father has shipped cars this way for people too, it's pretty reasonable for a 20ft container, you'll get screwed shipping from NZ though the internal charge in this country are insane. We tend to pay about $300-$500 US to ship a container from here to UK for the actual cost of it being on the ship but overall cost is over $5000 due to all the handling and port charges etc

I've got a 3l sedan legacy and I love the thing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭GavMan

About 10,000 NZ Dollars. Fairly rare car over here in this configuration (manual), condition and full service history..

Anything matching in the UK? Might be easier to sell and pick up one there if one comes up. Spend the savings on VAT, Shipping, etc on bringing it up to scratch.

I admire your committment though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I know someone in a similar position in australia, they have an 09 Holden SV8 car that they want to take home with them in a few years time. They have been in Oz for the last 5 years and so will have no NCB when they return soooooo what he has done was insured a little 04 Nissan Micra 1.0L over here (he owns the car and its sitting on his fathers driveway) and will insure it for the next few years so that when he does return he will have 3 or 4 years NCB built up. He's currently paying just €250 for the minimum 3rd party insurance and reckons it will pay dividends when he returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Not NCB won't follow, you'll be a first time driver

Why do you think so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Marcusm wrote: »
    VRT will be fine but you will have to pay VAT and (any) import duties.

Are you sure VAT and import duties are not exempt same like VRT in case of moving vehicle with transfer of residency.

IMO they should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

My wife and I successfully brought our full NCB here from AUS when we arrived 5 years back. It's not easy and they make you jump through hoops but it is possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

why not? Another unique irish insurance quirk? My NCB transferred from Irl to NZ no problem.
    I know folks like Senecio who were able to transfer the NCB from overseas, but I also know others that were refused no matter how much they pushed for it. It seems to depend on model of car.

It's a lovely car and if I owned it I'd be trying to get it back too, but with the tax and especially the insurance, Ireland is a real shíthole for anyone who doesn't want a 1 litre shopping trolley. On hearing that you want to insure a 2 litre turbo that's also an import the insurance companies will either call for your public execution or fap themselves to death over what they will quote.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Not NCB won't follow, you'll be a first time driver trying to insure a performance car. What's the car worth over there?

Liberty will accept your NCB

https://www.libertyinsurance.ie/customer-care/what-is-the-no-claims-acceptance-criteria/
    If your discount has been earned with another insurer, it must have been earned policy in the past two years, within Ireland, UK, all EU countries, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand.

However, price will be high and they might try to screw you over the fact they couldn't verify the NCB with your Australian insurer after you've signed the contract and paid. Their verification method is based on sending an email to [email]info@[nameoftheinsurance].au[/email]. If your insurance replies to emails and doesn't care of customers privacy, you'll be ok.

If you can make them accept your NCB it's not too bad at the end. Other insurers won't even quote you with no NCB and that type of car. Try also calling some broker!

Importing the car is fairly easy but check on the Revenue website if you have to pay any VAT. Start looking for the invoice of your car and any other proof that you lived in Australia and used the car before coming back to Ireland.

edit: I'm retarded, your title clearly says New Zealand. Oh well. New Zealand, Australia, it's all the same :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Insurance will ride you red raw over it being a twinscroll turbo import. If they don't just hang up on you because they can't find a suitable description in the system. There was never a turbo legacy sold directly here afaik. Imprezas/Foresters that were sold as Irish cars with turbo options can be insured handy enough, depending like, but judging by the insurer asking me 5 times in the one call "is it an irish car, not an import"... I just can't see it ending well for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

It does sound like a lot but personally I think it would be worth it... It's an amazing car that feels and looks much younger than it is. Plus there is very little if any Legacy Gt's in Ireland. Would my NCB from here not be valid in Ireland?

My NCB carried over when I came back from NZ in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

For the insurance quote, you should do a few online quotes before you bring it over just to see a price, I have an 08 diesel legacy, and each year I find another company wont quote me, "we don't insure the brand" (up to 5 now), AXA do but just under a grand, 123 were the cheapest at E560, no penalty points full ncb and over 40. Yours looks spotless, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Howya lads. I've got a 03 Subaru Legacy GT over here in New Zealand. Absolutely love the car. It's mint with full service history and something I want to hold onto for a long time. I've had notions of coming home, nothing major, just ideas. If I was to come home does anybody know how much to bring a car in would cost? I know it'll be expensive to tax in Ireland since it's a 2.0 turbo but it's a pretty unique car, not many in this condition. Here's the beast in question..
    20160123_184432.jpg
    Any chance of importing a few rugby players aswell, we need them

Advertisement