Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consultant or GP when ill

Options
  • 13-04-2016 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice but am 10 weeks pregnant and have come down with pretty bad gastric bug, not pleasant.
    I've only met my consultant in the Coombe once and her office isn't open until this afternoon, for stuff like this am I supposed to see my GP/ Consultant / Early pregnancy unit or just wait it out?

Can anyone advise what they did in a similar situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I went to gp locally when I needed a consultation for stuff like this. Didn't fancy schlepping into hospital if it wasn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

That definitely sounds like a GP issue unless there's something specifically pregnancy related about it (e.g. unusual pain in your abdomen, bleeding etc.)

Your GP can always send you to the hospital if they feel it's outside their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I would definitely go to your GP, probably best not to bring a bug into the maternity hospital. Your GP can check your temperature and determine what to do.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, GP is first port of call I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

GP and if they're concerned they'll refer you on to your maternity hospital. I was quite sick at the start of February when I was 21 weeks pregnant and my GP was able to deal with the issue. I just mentioned it to my consultant when I was back in for my next appointment.

Feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Just wanted to reply to thank you all, saw my GP who was sympathetic but there wasn't anything they could do so just had to run it's course. Luckily was grand the next day.

See my consultant next week anyway so hopefully baba is grand.

Advertisement