Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

correct use of vowels in writing songs

• 13-04-2016 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

I am a baritone and want to write my own songs but am struggling to understand how to make use of vowels in my bridge. I notice that singers whose voices I study that have similar voices use very open vowels on the higher notes of chest voice or in their bridge. This is especially proved true when the vowels are sustained for longer periods in the vocal phrase. Specifically, I hear these vowels on the high notes
    "eh" as in "get", "bet", "Ted"
    "ah" as in "bob","up","not"
    "oh" as in "home","so","no"
    so I had some questions regarding this and was wondering if someone could help me out by first telling me if my observation is correct and also specifically why this is so? Also, what about the non-pure vowels like "aa" vowels such as in the word "back". I wrote a song that uses a word with this vowel in my bridge but after closer listening through a microphone it sounds a bit strained. Should this vowel not be used on higher sustained notes?

and lastly, the "oh" vowel seems to be a dipthong. Is this true? I thought pure vowels were "pure" and not dipthongs.

thank you!

Advertisement