Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clanwilliam Square, Golf Links Road, Castletroy

• 13-04-2016 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Evening all,
    how are we all today.

it's come to that time of my life where i'm looking to get away from renting and move onto the property ladder. being Limerick born and bred and back in the city now after a 3 year stent traveling up and down from cork, I'm looking at the mentioned new estate.

does anyone know anything about the new development in castletroy,
    Looks to be a small development of 7 buildings with only the 2 TYPE A (what I'm interested in) left on the market.
    No prices released yet and i can't seam to find any information on who has bought or will be moving into the other properties but at the cost of the bigger building it's not for everyone.

Anyone here working on the development as a spark or chippy or anything really. Just looking for a little help with finding out any information that is availible.

I've expressed my interest with agent, but it's just no price released yet, but we will put you on list.

any info appreciated as always

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Just be aware that the Golf Links Road is a complete nightmare for traffic at peak times especially at O'Shea's. With no bus service and more houses being built, this will surely only get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭CutWeldDrive

thanks for the heads up but traffic wouldn't be an issue, I'm from the area so know all the alternative routes,

yes quite a few houses being built in that area, but the fact that this is a 7 home development has interested me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

They were originally start by Clohessys who also built the neighboring estate of Evanwood. I know some of the houses are all ready sold, I personally don't like the estate as I feel the houses are way too big for the site and way too close to each other which the brochures don't show and they back onto the evanwood and carnsford estates....

I'm not sure who took over the estate after nama...but would suggest a viewing beforehand to make your own mind up.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

I know two couples who were interested in Clanwilliam and engaged with the developer and estate agent for months and months - both parties were very frustrated that a straight answer on price was never forthcoming. Looked like the developer was biding his time as the market was on the rise and did not want to commit to a price at that stage. Not sure about the smaller houses now being built in from the road.

Traffic is fine most of the time in the area as long as people take notice of the yield signs on the way down to O'Sheas!

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I travel along the Golf Links Road at peak times every day. Don't find traffic bad. There's always a queue at O'Sheas but it keeps moving and doesn't take long to get through. Spent a year jumping on the motorway at Finnegans instead and found the traffic way worse up that end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Hi Bucketandsuz,

I can shed some light on your query. I know quite a few people with a keen interest in Castletroy property, and it appears that the Type A houses will be going to public auction due to the level of interest in them.

I think they were going to go on the market at about 350 initially. Word is that a lot of older couples nearing retiring age whose children have grown up and moved out of larger houses in the Castletroy area are looking to downsize and this seems to be a great candidate for such a move.

As for another poster's comments regarding the houses being too big for the site, I can see where they are coming from as I shared that opinion for a long time myself. I thought the houses were on top of one another. However I shnaked up for a peek at one of the bigger houses during construction and there is a lot more privacy than the view from the road would suggest. High walls around the perimeter - enormous gardens and hugely impressive buildings. I think they went for 650 or thereabouts.

thanks wigsa100 for the update, i've not been active on boards so missed alot of the posts, all caught up now.

i've expressed interest myself with the estate agent and it's basically the builder has not decided on a price yet.. i live close by and have been keeping an eye on these properties closely but it doesn't appear to have progressed from there current state for over 3 months,

they are still shells of houses with no interior fixings, the heat pumps are in place but it doesn't appear to have been connected internally, no floors down and still alot of building supplies inside in both houses, no hardware or supplies for kitchens yet.

i'm kinda thinking with the builders holidays coming up these won't be released this year, there is another large house being build on the road so i'm only assuming all 3 houses will be releases at the same time or auctioned at the same time.

they don't appear to have any other heating source other than the air source heat pump, and although not passive rated they are expected to be A rated.

house one has a large back garden, quite a bit larger than house 2 but house 1 has a pylon located in the middle of the garden, not very attractive.

it looks like there is a provision in place for adding electric gates to the entrance on the estate.

well thats all i know.. will be ringing the estate agent again this week to see if there is any more info on these.

Mr. TTime: did the couples you know get one of the bigger houses in the end, or did the fustration put them off.

thanks again for all the above posts and info

Just if anyone is interested:

3 clanwilliam square sold for: €440k
    4 clanwilliam square sold for: €389k
    5 clanwilliam square sold for: €365k
    6 clanwilliam square sold for: €430k
    7 clanwilliam square sold for: €317k

all the information and pricing is public knowledge that anyone can look up so there should be a problem posting it.
    all sold between Oct 2015 and Jan 2016.

Just if anyone is interested:

3 clanwilliam square sold for: €440k
    4 clanwilliam square sold for: €389k
    5 clanwilliam square sold for: €365k
    6 clanwilliam square sold for: €430k
    7 clanwilliam square sold for: €317k

all the information and pricing is public knowledge that anyone can look up so there should be a problem posting it.
    all sold between Oct 2015 and Jan 2016.

I have a feeling there was a good whack of cash going in along with them, they're very different to the figures that I've heard!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie is saying that number 5 went for 321,586.00 in January. Has it been resold since?

• Advertisement

All pricing taken from the property price register, as new dwellings.

looks like the property prices are correct, was doing more enquiring today.

the 3 large houses on the road are priced higher. 2 complete and lived in, 1 currently being build with guide pricing at around the €600k mark.

one of them sold back in May 2015, number 2 Clanwilliam for €595k. from what i understand one of the munster players bought one of them.

All pricing taken from the property price register, as new dwellings.

looks like the property prices are correct, was doing more enquiring today.

the 3 large houses on the road are priced higher. 2 complete and lived in, 1 currently being build with guide pricing at around the €600k mark.

one of them sold back in May 2015, number 2 Clanwilliam for €595k. from what i understand one of the munster players bought one of them.

I can assure you that your information about the buyer is incorrect. Sounds about right with the prices though.

wigsa100 wrote: »
    I can assure you that your information about the buyer is incorrect. Sounds about right with the prices though.

i'll let you know if i ever end up buying one ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

wigsa100 wrote: »

How you know that?Alot of Munster rugby people would have to live near u.l

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Shocking to be honest, considering when the larger houses sold they sold for less than the asking price of these, and are double the size.

The way houses are begin sold at the moment 10-15% higher than asking price, I'd expect these to sell for 400k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Wow, 360k for a small dormer bungalow basically. Crazy price, but I guarantee you will have people that will pay it just to say they live on the golf links road. Can't understand it myself because as people said it can be a nightmare out that way traffic wise for a start.

If they all sell you have to say fair play to the developer because by the looks of it they will make a killing off it.

I live 500 meters from the golf links road, and travel it everyday too and from work, don't know to be honest what all the fuss is about with this area, 15-20 years ago i can understand why it was desirable, but don't understand now.

traffic is manageable, no better or worse than anywhere else in limerick.

All other houses in the estate are sold, only the 2 dormers left and one 4/5 bed on the road.. prices like this really does price first time buyers out of the market, the same goes for Kingsfort in Raheen, a snip at €425K for a 4 bed house.

Clancy strand apartments have increased in value by approx 80k in a year,

Will be interesting to see pricing for Bishops Quay development and the Ardhu/Clarion Suites project.

we will just have to wait and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I live off the golf links road in Glanntan, and I don't understand why people find the area so desirable. Sure there are a few green fields, and relatively quick access to the motorway, but that is offset by really bad traffic at peak hours. I get the impression that the area has garnered this reputation of an idyllic, leafy suburb, and people consider it a status symbol to own a house there. Obviously, it is a nice area, but I wouldn't consider it nice enough to justify paying the sort of prices currently being asked for houses there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

These seem like insane prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It would seem some people haven't learned a thing from the last 10 or 15 years. Recipe for the beginnings of another property bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

I also live in Glanntan. Traffic isn't bad around here at all and I drive to and from work in Raheen at peak times 5 days a week.
    You can get caught at the bridge heading towards O'shea's sometimes but you're usually through it in about 5 minutes.
    It's a nice area around here but I also don't understand why it is so sought after. They could really do with more shops/services around the schoolhouse road area.

sale agreed. can't believe they sold for excess of €360k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Jofspring

sale agreed. can't believe they sold for excess of €360k

Fools and their money easily parted?

Celtic Tiger Part 2 warming up nicely. I was reading in one of the national papers recently that somewhere up the country just outside Dublin, people were camped out in their cars overnight waiting to put deposits down in a new housing estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

bazz26 wrote: »
    Celtic Tiger Part 2 warming up nicely. I was reading in one of the national papers recently that somewhere up the country just outside Dublin, people were camped out in their cars overnight waiting to put deposits down in a new housing estate.

Think thats because housing is in such short supply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Between stories like this and the polls (if 2016 showed us anything, it's not to rely on these) indicating an upsurge in popularity for Fianna Fail, it's like 2004 all over again, and it's as if the crash never happened....

Mc Love wrote: »
    Think thats because housing is in such short supply

Agreed there is a housing shortage but afaik these houses in question were not your standard 2 bedroom townhouse or 3 bedroom semi, but rather expensive detached offerings that your typical first time buyers wouldn't be thinking of.

• Advertisement

Agreed there is a housing shortage but afaik these houses in question were not your standard 2 bedroom townhouse or 3 bedroom semi, but rather expensive detached offerings that your typical first time buyers wouldn't be thinking of.

To a degree yes, but i think that only came about as the property market grew to what it is now. the 4 and 5 bed houses in this estate sold 18moths to nearly 2 years ago and the most expensive one according to property price register was 440k.

considering what these went for, it could be considered that the residents who bought the other 5 houses in the estate got them at a steal, and they have easily appreciated in value now.

i inquired into one of these a year ago and was told they would be for sale April 2016. it's obvious the developer saw the market growing and held off on finishing the units. released them when the demand grow to whar it is today and released at crazy prices.

that being said, yes he is a business man, and making money is his business, but if this is the suitation going forward it's going to be very hard for first time buyers to get on the property ladder and near impossible for a single person.

I've moved home 18 months ago to save for a deposit, was paying €850 rent in a town house in Douglas in cork. now I'm in a position that it's not looking like I'm going to be able to afford any of the new houses or apartments or even existing ones that are half decent any time soon and rent is so high at the moment it just not feasible to move out rent on my own.

sorry rant over.. just very frustrating..icon8.png

Advertisement