Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home brewing variable control

Options
  • 13-04-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

I'm trying trying to get into brewing but obviously there's a lot issues. Do you guys think it's important to track various variables in the brewing process like sugar levels, vat pressure, temperature, O2 etc?

I'd like to find a better way of achieving a high level of consistency to save time and money.

I know there are apps that allow for temperature tracking/control, but is there anything more comprehensive?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Do you guys think it's important to track various variables in the brewing process like sugar levels, vat pressure, temperature, O2 etc?
    Nope. People were making beer successfully for thousands of years before they knew what these things were. Measure the gravity as you go along, keep the temperature under 24C, mind your hygiene, and you'll get drinkable beer out.
    I'd like to find a better way of achieving a high level of consistency to save time and money.
    How would consistency save you time and money? The fussier you are about the end product, the more money you'll need to invest in producing it. It's cheaper just to bodge out something drinkable, and then drink it. And there's a whole scale in between: you can build your kit and hone your skills as you go, there's no requirement to be a total kitted-up expert from your first brew. In fact, it's bad idea to even try, IMO.

Start simple, make mistakes, learn as you go, and find the level of involvement and investment that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I use a hardbacked notebook to track recipes, take notes during the brew, and leave tasting notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Personally I believe the best way a home brewer can improve their beer is hygiene, temperature control, and being as accurate as they can with the tools they have.
    I would not bodge anything as you can't correct problems the next time around.

You dont have to invest large money for good consistent results.

Let say you want to control temp. Yeast likes consistent brewing temperatures as fluctuations can produce bad tastes. An old fridge with an stc 1000 and a heat tube can cost as little as 30 euro to set up and give you far better beer than fermenting in a house.

W5 oxy cleaner and the bleach/vinegar solution will give you very sanitary cleaning and cost a few euro per 10 batches.

I would invest in a thermometer, hydrometer and a good measuring jug. And take lots of notes each brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Starsan and W5 Oxy. If used correctly, you'll never get an infection.

A 5L pressure sprayer (~€8) filled with Starsan makes sanitizing equipment an absolute breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A 5L pressure sprayer (~€8) filled with Starsan makes sanitizing equipment an absolute breeze.
    Dealz do 1L pump up sprayers for €1.49

http://www.dealz.ie/charlie-dimmock-water-pressure-sprayer-1-litre

132282_1.jpg

They also have their own brand of milton
    http://www.dealz.ie/dr-johnsons-sterilising-fluid-1-litre
    It is lower than the 5% neat bleach most receipes seem to presume. It is something like 1.5% strength

In another forum some people were concerned about other chemicals that might be in household bleach. They often put in caustic soda to stabilize it for longer shelf life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Good stuff, that's very cheap for the pressure sprayer. I was mugged at €8!

With regards to steriliser, I really do think Starsan is worth the investment for the peace of mind. Have a read of this thread on the National Homebrew Club forum. He was getting off flavours because he wasn't able to rinse the sanitiser off fully. Starsan is a no-rinse sanitiser, so if any gets in your beer, there's no problem. It's tasteless and harmless to consume when diluted at the correct levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€8 is what I would expect though, dealz is just ridiculously cheap for some things.

A simple test for sanitzers would be to do a "no rinse" in a bottle, and not in another, then fill them with water and do some tastes tests (preferably blind tastings!)
    Have a read of this thread on the National Homebrew Club forum. He was getting off flavours because he wasn't able to rinse the sanitiser off fully.
    He doesn't mention what diltuion of milton he was using. If its mixed with vinegar its a much more potent sanitizer so you can use less. I also think the vinegar might neutralize it or something.

Advertisement