Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gym and Social Anxiety

• 13-04-2016 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi all, my social anxiety has got a lot worse in the past few months. I really want to get back into working out and enjoy a gym again.

I live in Killester but don't want to join West Qood or the one in Raheny. I'm not sure Curves Baldoyle have any good facilities ? I'd like to join FlyeFit but I presume it's packed 24/7.

Any tips or good gyms to join would be great. I can't find any women's gyms bar West Woods small section.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Hi all, my social anxiety has got a lot worse in the past few months. I really want to get back into working out and enjoy a gym again.

I live in Killester but don't want to join West Qood or the one in Raheny. I'm not sure Curves Baldoyle have any good facilities ? I'd like to join FlyeFit but I presume it's packed 24/7.

Any tips or good gyms to join would be great. I can't find any women's gyms bar West Woods small section.

Flyefit isn't packed 24/7, only around the evening times, as most gyms are.

Revfit might be the best option though. Hanley posts here regularly and he runs the place, which is very good from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Would you consider one of running groups on the seafront? Normally a small gang and all levels? Coolock about to open flyfite now too. Northwood too far? Good facilities I believe and a 25m pool and a lot less than Westwood? Bootcamp local too. Maybe Clontarf cricket club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I normally go to the FlyeFit in Baggot Street and have to echo MightyMandarin - it is only packed in the 6-7.30pm band (that I have seen). After that time, it's much more approachable - and after 8.30pm there's virtually nobody. The weight area upstairs gets more crowded than the cardio area, but that's because it's a bit undersized in comparison. In any case, I never had to essentially "wait around"

I guess a similar patter applies to the other FlyeFit gyms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Would you consider Olympic weightlifting? There's Raheny Weightlifting Club, they do "Oly Girls" classes, the guys there are dead sound, weightlifting is great craic, you'll meet lads of people and make friends.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=raheny%20weightlifting%20club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

dylbert wrote: »
    Would you consider Olympic weightlifting? There's Raheny Weightlifting Club, they do "Oly Girls" classes, the guys there are dead sound, weightlifting is great craic, you'll meet lads of people and make friends.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=raheny%20weightlifting%20club

That's a great idea actually. Most weightlifting clubs are small so you'll get to know people better than you ever would at a commercial gym.

Weightlifting is also a great sport to get into imo.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Flyefit isn't packed 24/7, only around the evening times, as most gyms are.

Revfit might be the best option though. Hanley posts here regularly and he runs the place, which is very good from what I've heard.

It's always the best option for everyone ever :D:D Thanks for the mention.

Really briefly DisneyLover, we do group PT classes in Glasnevin and limit class size so everyone gets personal attention. Most members have got to know each other and we try to do some social events and seminars regularly to bring people together, if that's something that's of interest.

....or you can just come in, train and get your sh*t done.

Membership's €130-200/month but if that's in your budget you get A LOT for your money. I won't eat up the thread, PM me if you wanna know more.

Now, to your Q...

Can't speak for Curves equipment. FlyeFit isn't packed 24/7. If you train at peak times (morning / lunch / evening) it's WEDGED. I've heard George's Street is a bit quieter since its only new.

With regards women only gyms, you don't "need" one - guys and girls should train pretty similarly (adjusting for nutrition etc) but I understand how intimidating it can be walking into the "man's section" especially if you've social anxiety.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

Hey OP. Flyefit Georges Street would be perfect for you -even at busy times, it's big enough that you won't feel overly anxious or crowded in there. If you can get over during the day or after 8.30/9pm then you'd be grand. Lots of space and lots of different areas. For example, there's a whole kind of 'studio' floor upstairs where they do classes, but you can use it when the classes aren't on to do circuits with DBs/KBs (I don't think there were any barbells in the studio part). I tried using it a few times when I was feeling a bit self-conscious and it was great because I was the only one in it! :)

Honestly though, the place is so spaced out, I think it'd be great for you. You can get a 1 day pass online for less than a tenner and you could probably get a free trial if you asked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

aquinn wrote: »
    Would you consider one of running groups on the seafront? Normally a small gang and all levels? Coolock about to open flyfite now too. Northwood too far? Good facilities I believe and a 25m pool and a lot less than Westwood? Bootcamp local too. Maybe Clontarf cricket club?

Yeah cheers! Actually looked into it and there's a small gym in the IWA in Clontarf so going to go there fiver a go. And might get on my bike and join FlyeFit when it opens in Coolock :) Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

Thanks everyone :) Joining the CRC then FlyeFit when it opens in Coolock and can cycle down to it - only 15 mins away. Many thanks for all the relies :)

Advertisement