Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential new customer confused as hell

Options
  • 13-04-2016 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, I was looking to sign up for broadband only which is advertised on the Eir website as being €30 per month introductory offer rising to €45.00 pm after. I am in a new part of an estate which was not yet connected to the fibre network until last week.

Got talking to a neighbour who was in the process of signing up after works were completed last week to bring fibre to the area but he is having a nightmare trying to get connected being told different stories by different agents he spoke to. 

I was on the Eir website which says standalone bb is not available to my address but fibre is available in a bundle. I rang an agent and was told the only option available to me is a 150mbs line at €35pm, rising to €50. Nowhere on your website is this advertised and although only €5 more this is out of my budget. So I left it to think about it. 

Rang again yesterday and was told I could avail of fibre at €25pm intro, rising to €45. Again another option nowhere to be seen on the website. After questioning the agent he then said he was mistaken and I was correct and that the only option was €35 rising to €50 for 150mbps.

Have just now spoken to the neighbour again and he has been told he has to get the phone line, required or not in order to get the fibre. Like me he does not need nor want a phone line. To make matters worse they are connecting his fibre to his house tomorrow but the phone line will be installed seperately and may not be possible to connect. This is putting me off signing up.

Can you please clarify your tarriffs for fibre to the home, clarify if 100mbs is an option to us or not and clarify why a phone line is required when the fibre line is seperate and it should not be required. Are we expected to pay for a phone line that we cannot even use if we wanted to?

Looking forward to your response.

Mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The up to 100Mb Product uses the phone line and is the €45 a month package. The 150Mb(and 300 and 1000) is FTTH, a much newer technology that only select areas can get. Its possible as the latter, "eFibre Ultimate", is available the former isn't. 

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

ED E wrote: »
    The up to 100Mb Product uses the phone line and is the €45 a month package. The 150Mb(and 300 and 1000) is FTTH, a much newer technology that only select areas can get. Its possible as the latter, "eFibre Ultimate", is available the former isn't. 
    Thanks Ed, can you tell me why we have to get a phone line in then for the FTTH? Especially if it cant be used? And why isnt all this advertised on your website? Its very very confusing and offputting for a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'm not an eir Rep, just a broadband nerd! Throwing in some info before Pamela and co get back to you. 

You neighbor may have been advised wrong or both FTTH and FTTC(100Mb) may be available. 

The website queries the same database as the reps will, so entering your address should suggest whatever product is applicable. 

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

ED E wrote: »
    I'm not an eir Rep, just a broadband nerd! Throwing in some info before Pamela and co get back to you. 

You neighbor may have been advised wrong or both FTTH and FTTC(100Mb) may be available. 

The website queries the same database as the reps will, so entering your address should suggest whatever product is applicable. 
    Oh right sorry Ed, should have checked that it was just your language sounded like a rep! Apparently they are phasing out FTTC so this is not available. It really bugs me we are being made get a phone line when it is not needed and is seperate to the fibre cable. Brian, my neighbour was told his fibre, although being installed tomorrow wont be active until the phone line is installed. And they couldnt tell him when that would be done, if it can be done at all! Not a great start for a new customer. Cheers for the advice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hi, I was looking to sign up for broadband only which is advertised on the Eir website as being €30 per month introductory offer rising to €45.00 pm after. I am in a new part of an estate which was not yet connected to the fibre network until last week.

Got talking to a neighbour who was in the process of signing up after works were completed last week to bring fibre to the area but he is having a nightmare trying to get connected being told different stories by different agents he spoke to. 

I was on the Eir website which says standalone bb is not available to my address but fibre is available in a bundle. I rang an agent and was told the only option available to me is a 150mbs line at €35pm, rising to €50. Nowhere on your website is this advertised and although only €5 more this is out of my budget. So I left it to think about it. 

Rang again yesterday and was told I could avail of fibre at €25pm intro, rising to €45. Again another option nowhere to be seen on the website. After questioning the agent he then said he was mistaken and I was correct and that the only option was €35 rising to €50 for 150mbps.

Have just now spoken to the neighbour again and he has been told he has to get the phone line, required or not in order to get the fibre. Like me he does not need nor want a phone line. To make matters worse they are connecting his fibre to his house tomorrow but the phone line will be installed seperately and may not be possible to connect. This is putting me off signing up.

Can you please clarify your tarriffs for fibre to the home, clarify if 100mbs is an option to us or not and clarify why a phone line is required when the fibre line is seperate and it should not be required. Are we expected to pay for a phone line that we cannot even use if we wanted to?

Looking forward to your response.

Mark.
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for getting in touch, We would run on-line promotions that are different from our offers that are available with our agents over the phone. If you wish to avail of an offer you have seen on-line you would need to sign up for this on-line.

In some cases if there is no prequal available for broadband a line will need to be installed and then prequaled to determine it's broadband/ efibre capability. Please feel free to PM me your address and I can check this :)

-Pamela

• Advertisement
Advertisement