Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2008 Subaru Legacy Boxer Diesel opinion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi

Just wanted to get some advice on buying a 2008 Subaru legacy Boxer Diesel.
    Has anyone had an problems, the one im interested in has 174K miles , is that a lot for one of these cars , I was told the legacy diesel are pretty much bomb proof. Any opinions. Thanks :);)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/subaru/legacy/used-2008-subaru-legacy-2-0-td-bo-dublin-fpa-201114432894601530

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057583495

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

As the thread linked above should point out the boxer Diesel engine is a pile of sh1te that is extremely costly to fix when things go wrong.
    A ticking time bomb would be a more apt description than bomb proof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was told the legacy diesel are pretty much bomb proof. ]

Oh dear...!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

Thanks, can u elaborate a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Not sure if they are the same engines, but I had a Subaru Impreza tdr 2 litre, 150 bhp from new in 2010.

The DPF light was constantly coming on in it - about once every 2 months on average despite subaru cleaning and regeneration. No amount of recommended "lively driving" could keep make it right.

About 4.5 years in, I'd say 60k on the clock, the catalytic converter "disintegrated". 2.5k Euro for subaru to replace with a new one as it was out of warranty... or 1k euro to get it removed and ecu reprogrammed. I went with the removal and it actually ran fine afterwards without cat converter and seemed quicker too, but smokey as hell.

It's a pity, cos the car had terrific grip, and terrific pull from a standing start. I wouldn't buy another though, nor would I recommend one to a friend. In fact the whole experience has turned me off diesels.

I might also just have been very bloody unlucky.

Muppet man.

• Advertisement

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057524363
    Chronic injector issues along with terminal crank issues these along with a few other problems makes the boxer diesel an engine that's best avoided.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057524363
    Chronic injector issues along with terminal crank issues these along with a few other problems makes the boxer diesel an engine that's best avoided.
    Thanks for the heads up, I called Carol & Roche who deal in Subaru and the lad in their sales team told me the same, said the injectors are a big problem and cost close to 1k for replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

The number of spares or repair Subaru diesels on Ebay says it all really.

Are they really that bad, I mean how come they have such a bad reputation , how come there are so few of them on the roads, I cant remember the last time I seen a legacy on the road. I had my heart set on , I had a 2001 2.0L GL model about 13 years ago and I was brilliant, a bit thirsty but really loved it. When the Boxer diesel came out in circa 2008 I heard nothing but good about them. Is it just the diesel model that suffers or is it across the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

The petrol Legacys are as close to bullet proof as you will get in this day and age. They like a drink though, which frightens most people off. It's a shame that the diesels are so bad, I've got a 3 litre Outback which is pretty quick but it is all top end power, so you have to rev it and that doesn't suit the character of the car in my opinion. Luckily it is very smooth and it is a million miles refinement wise from a 4 pot diesel, but a lazy torquey diesel would really suit the car.

• Advertisement

seen this earlier today and spoke with the seller, said its running perfect, new turbo fitted 3 months ago and only 1 previous owner. https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-boxer-diesel/12049713

Im going to go over and take a look over the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

i-will-do-everything-opposite-of-what-u-say.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP can't say they were not warned!

Ok so what diesel would u recommend between 2005 and 2008 with a 4k budget. I've always driven petrols, current Car is a Lexus Is200.but recently moved to the Midlands and commute everyday to Dublin.Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Ok so what diesel would u recommend between 2005 and 2008 with a 4k budget. I've always driven petrols, current Car is a Lexus Is200.but recently moved to the Midlands and commute everyday to Dublin.Any suggestions?
    I know it is not a Diesel, but a nice to drive, reliable car.
    You can keep the change to buy some juice...

What sorta car are ya after?
    Estate, saloon, awd, rwd, fwd, auto or manual, under 2.0 or up to 2.5? Many many variables to consider when making a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Seweryn wrote: »
    I know it is not a Diesel, but a nice to drive, reliable car.
    You can keep the change to buy some juice...

If the op wants something more economical than their is200 for a long commute I doubt if a petrol legacy would be a good option tbh. It won't have any advantage in running costs over the is200.

Ideally a diesel saloon, from 2006 to 2008, preferably 08 for the cheaper tax.Really like the legacy AWD.

Awd diesel volvo? Rare though and most are normally estates.
    Another would be an Audi a6 Quattro tdi or a4 Quattro but again both are rare enough.
    A side from that most of the rest of the competition are fwd or rwd.

Just sold a Volvo yesterday that I bought last month with the dreaded Psa engine. Lost over 1500euro on her. Volvo aren't on my radar for the moment, either is an estste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Just sold a Volvo yesterday that I bought last month with the dreaded Psa engine. Lost over 1500euro on her. Volvo aren't on my radar for the moment, either is an estste

With that budget your best keep away from anything too exotic as you'll only end with
    Something clapped out and costing a bomb on big repairs.

I'd be thinking you'll need to stay with the Mundane, Mondeo, Passat or Superb would be most likely candidates.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/12016722
    2008 skoda superb, 1.9 tdi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Thanks for the heads up, I called Carol & Roche who deal in Subaru and the lad in their sales team told me the same, said the injectors are a big problem and cost close to 1k for replacement.

I bought one new in 2008. Best car I've ever had to drive, worse one to own. I was quoted around €2k for DMF/clutch problems at about 45k miles & got rid soon after.

Ideally a diesel saloon, from 2006 to 2008, preferably 08 for the cheaper tax.Really like the legacy AWD.

You won't when it comes back to bite you

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    You won't when it comes back to bite you

Ok you have convinced me, I drove one over the weekend, and it was a great drive but lack of seem many on the roads and after doing some research it seems its not going to be a good choice. Thanks to all for their opinions ;)

Ok you have convinced me, I drove one over the weekend, and it was a great drive but lack of seem many on the roads and after doing some research it seems its not going to be a good choice. Thanks to all for their opinions ;)

They are a great car, pity the diesel engine lets it down

I bought a new estate in 2009...loved every second of driving it and pained me to sell it on recently when I heard about the engine issues

I bought a new estate in 2009...loved every second of driving it and pained me to sell it on recently when I heard about the engine issues

Update - decided against the Subaru today, and picked up a 2006 Toyota Avensis TSpirit D4D last night. I hope its good to me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Wuss, I still have mine, still love it, 45mpg (6l/100km) have been thinking of putting it away, maybe in 30 years it will be a collectors item as there'll be feck all of them on the road because of the cost of repair.
    hmmm, there's a question, how many are left out of the amount that were sold, I wonder.

Advertisement