Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Cabinet Launch Date Johnstown Co. Kildare?

Options
  • 13-04-2016 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Any update on when the fibre broadband cabinet JNN1_002 will go live? Looks as if the other cabinet in the village is live already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

bleepbloop wrote: »
    Any update on when the fibre broadband cabinet JNN1_002 will go live? Looks as if the other cabinet in the village is live already.
    Hi bleepbloop,

Thanks for getting in touch :)

You can view the most up to date information on the eFibre roll out here http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ or you can check your line number or address here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/. 
    I would recommend registering your details on the above link and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭knobtasticus

That's hardly an answer Pamela is it? I've made two posts regarding the activation of this second cabinet in Johnstown that has been in place now since July 2015. Cabinet Kil1_005 was constructed 3 months later and now has a activation date of Apr 27th but still none for JNN1_002. In fact, JNN1_002 was listed as 'available within six weeks' back in November but that plan also fell by the wayside and went back out to 'within one year'.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if the 'broadband' service half of the village on the associated DSL cabinet have to deal with was fit for purpose. Broadband has been grossly oversold on the cabinet (and it has never been upgraded - still running old legacy tech) with the result that the connection is non-functioning between 1800-0000 every evening and all day Saturday and Sunday. Contention is simply another way of saying 'oversold' and, regardless, is simply not a good enough excuse in 2016.

KIL1_005 is a half mile from JNN1_002. I'd ask that, if an activation date can be assigned for the former then perhaps you could talk to your networks team and see if there was a ballpark date in mind at all for Johnstown. The situation is so poor in Johnstown that Imagine are now making serious progress in the village with their LTE service (I counted three separate Imagine crews in the village yesterday). Having had broadband with eir/Eircom for 14 years now, it'd be nice to not feel like a forced provider switch was the only way to get an adequate service.

Cheers.

Knobby.

That's hardly an answer Pamela is it?  I've made two posts regarding the activation of this second cabinet in Johnstown that has been in place now since July 2015. Cabinet Kil1_005 was constructed 3 months later and now has a activation date of Apr 27th but still none for JNN1_002. In fact, JNN1_002 was listed as 'available within six weeks' back in November but that plan also fell by the wayside and went back out to 'within one year'.

Of course, none of this would be an issue if the 'broadband' service half of the village on the associated DSL cabinet have to deal with was fit for purpose. Broadband has been grossly oversold on the cabinet (and it has never been upgraded - still running old legacy tech) with the result that the connection is non-functioning between 1800-0000 every evening and all day Saturday and Sunday. Contention is simply another way of saying 'oversold' and, regardless, is simply not a good enough excuse in 2016.

KIL1_005 is a half mile from JNN1_002. I'd ask that, if an activation date can be assigned for the former then perhaps you could talk to your networks team and see if there was a ballpark date in mind at all for Johnstown. The situation is so poor in Johnstown that Imagine are now making serious progress in the village with their LTE service (I counted three separate Imagine crews in the village yesterday). Having had broadband with eir/Eircom for 14 years now, it'd be nice to not feel like a forced provider switch was the only way to get an adequate service.

Cheers.

Knobby.
    I'm sorry you feel this way  knobtasticus unfortunately this is the most up to date information we have at the minute.
    I understand your frustration however due to the level of work required in order to upgrade our infrastructure to efibre this will not always be a straightforward process and some cabinets will take longer to upgrade than others. 

In regards to the broadband issues you are experiencing I would recommend contacting technical support and they would be more than happy to troubleshoot these issues you are experiencing, You can contact them directly on 1890260260, free phone 1901.

- Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

I had a look at the dates the website updated the build commenced date and it was 11th of August last year! Thats 274 days since building the cabinet and updating the map! That is not at all normal in the context of the hundreds of cabinets built and gone live since this one.

As this is an exceptional delay in connection it surely demands an exceptional response from Eir and not the usual copy paste 'thank you for your query, broadband is coming etc'

Check your phone number now on the eir website. Fibre has been 'enabled' for two weeks. Having made more enquiries than I'm willing to admit to, cabinet officially live from May 24th.

Evidently, the fibrerollout.ie site is utterly useless. I'd hope Pamela would stop referring to it in her replies.

• Advertisement

tvc15 wrote: »
    I had a look at the dates the website updated the build commenced date and it was 11th of August last year! Thats 274 days since building the cabinet and updating the map! That is not at all normal in the context of the hundreds of cabinets built and gone live since this one.

As this is an exceptional delay in connection it surely demands an exceptional response from Eir and not the usual copy paste 'thank you for your query, broadband is coming etc'
    Hi  tvc15,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately the dates we provide on-line are estimated and we would be unable to guarantee a date as the time taken to upgrade the line to efibre will vary depending on the level of work involved and whether consents from road and planning authorities and private landowners are necessary. I understand this must be quite frustrating however I'm afraid for these reasons there can be delays in launching of cabinets. 

I would recommend registering your details here https://www.eir.ie/broadband/eoi and as soon as the service is available you will be notified.

-Pamela 

Pamela, did you see the previous post before replying? Is the cabinet live? I don't have a land line number to check the Eir website

Pamela, did you see the previous post before replying? Is the cabinet live? I don't have a land line number to check the Eir website
    You can also check via address on the eir website here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ tvc15,
    There are two cabinets in this area, one cabinet is currently live and the other cabinet the completion work is in progress at the minute. 

-Pamela 

You can also check via address on the eir website here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ tvc15,
    There are two cabinets in this area, one cabinet is currently live and the other cabinet the completion work is in progress at the minute.

-Pamela
    Thanks, I have checked my address and I still cannot get broadband according that, I have checked other addresses which were previously unable to get broadband and the are now showing as being in a fibre enabled area. So it looks at least like some progress is being made which is great.

Can you clarify that if the cabinet is finally being enabled some addresses may be left out? Given that the cabinet has been upgraded is there even a possibility that the remainging houses would be upgraded to the tech from the last decade so my children could even experience 5Mb/s internet? (I am less than 300m from the cabinet if that helps)

Thanks, I have checked my address and I still cannot get broadband according that, I have checked other addresses which were previously unable to get broadband and the are now showing as being in a fibre enabled area. So it looks at least like some progress is being made which is great.

Can you clarify that if the cabinet is finally being enabled some addresses may be left out? Given that the cabinet has been upgraded is there even a possibility that the remainging houses would be upgraded to the tech from the last decade so my children could even experience 5Mb/s internet? (I am less than 300m from the cabinet if that helps)

I'm very local to you tvc15, give me an approximate idea of where you are. You're not going to get anything beyond a generic reply from Pamela. I've a bunch of phone numbers from different parts of that cabinet's service area. Will try one that's closest to you and that should give you a rough answer. Or at least, something concrete to go talk to eir about!

The JNN_002 is serving everyone from the humpback bridge and beyond. That includes the entirety of St. John's Grove and all the single houses up to and beyond Furness Manor. Furness Manor itself is somehow running through JNN_001 so they've had Fibre for the past year. Finally, all the houses on the 'loop' (I presume you know what I'm referring to - the back road up the hill, down past Furness estate and back down past the Equine Centre to the Playbarn are all served by JNN_002 also. That last point surprised me when I was informed of it by an eir engineer as that's a seriously long loop for some houses and I'd fear those on the furthest end of it might not be able to avail of fibre.

• Advertisement

You can also check via address on the eir website here https://www.eir.ie/eirfibreinfo/map/ tvc15,

-Pamela

No problem tvc15,

If you are connected to a cabinet that is live and within 2 Km's of this cabinet you should be able to avail of the service. (bearing in mind [font=Calibri, sans-serif]lines are not laid as the crow flies and may take different routes from the cabinet before it reaches your home)[/font]
    In some cases not all premises connected to the cabinet will be able to avail of the efibre service immediately and there will be additional work required to upgrade these lines so there can be delays.

We cannot guarantee the service/ speeds you can avail of until there is an active line available to test. Would you like to PM me your address and I can check this?

-Pamela 

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres no point in asking the reps here, they arent allowed to know deployment plans until they are official, and when they're official they go on the website. Its that way to be fair to all retail operators. Just watch the maps.

ED E wrote: »
    Theres no point in asking the reps here, they arent allowed to know deployment plans until they are official, and when they're official they go on the website. Its that way to be fair to all retail operators. Just watch the maps.

You're implying that 'watching the maps' is in any way an effective tactic. If you've read all previous comments, (and indeed, the comments on many threads just like this) you'll see that watching the maps has only lead to more confusion. The cabinet we're talking about has gone from 'available within 6 weeks' to 'available within 1 year' to 'available within 6 months' on the eir fibre broadband map. It's 'partner cabinet' which I'm calling so because they were installed together and have both followed the same pattern, is listed as 'available within 6 months' now also on the eir map. However, check the fibrerollout.ie map and, JNN_002 is listed as 'build commenced...' while the other cabinet has a 'will go live on April 27th' tag - that date having long since passed obviously. To add to the confusion, if one is to do a phone number check on the eir website for a number connected to JNN_002, it'll say 'Your number is Fibre enabled'. Then you ring eir to place an order and they say, no, that number is not enabled yet and they don't know when it will be, while ringing Vodafone about the same number has them tell me that the number will be live on May 24th.

So tell me ED E, exactly what or who should we be watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ignore the retail map (as stated in over and over), its a joke.

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/ or http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ are accurate to a certain small delay. 

JNN 001 is probably beside the JNN1 the original exchange.

JNN 002 is a child of that. " JNN1_002 Fibre Broadband Cabinet is expected to go Live on 25-May-16 " 

"Exchange Code:  Unknown
    DSL Enabled:  Yes - 6 MB
    NGB Enabled:  No
    Fibre Enabled: Yes - 100 MB
    LLU Enabled: No "

Definitely commissioned, it was probably done on the 24th of April and is now under a 1 month regulatory hold. 

This is all public info. 

Advertisement