Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property with shared septic tank and boundary issue

Options
  • 13-04-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭

We are considering buying a property that was owned by a deceased elderly relative. The siblings inherited the property and they are selling it. It's not up for sale yet and might not be ready until next spring.

Firstly, the property shares a septic tank with the adjacent property owned by another family member/sibling who is inheriting. Secondly, the neighbouring family member built the house on the land of this house but a boundary was never established as far as I know.

We are really only at the consideration stage of this but how would both affect going for a mortgage? Would a bank give a mortgage on a house without its own septic tank and without a boundary?

The estate agent who valued did so based on the fact that the new owner would have to sort out both issues.

hasnanyone been involved with something similar to this? I'd imagine it's quite common and the formalities of building on a parents property or whatever are ignored until the original
    house needs to be sold.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wouldn't touch a property with septic tank of their land. It would take a lot of planning requirements and cost to put your own in place. Boundaries are easier to solve and require agreement and legal transaction. From what you said, I would be very cautious

Advertisement