Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going It Alone

Options
  • 13-04-2016 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

Right so, I've bit the bullet.

Booked a flight to Bangkok on 26th May and fly home 30th August. No set plan other than that so I'm fairly easy.

Basically, I booked this on a whim and know nothing about travelling alone.

Should I bring all my cash on me in different currencies?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

No, bring dollars if you want but you can just as easily change Euro. Your card should work everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fair play, should be awesome. I'd take some cash alright (Maybe keep half on you and secrret half). if you want to get foreign currency before you go, the banks might need advance notice to get it in. As mentioned, your card should work all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Thanks for the replies.

Are the charges ridiculous for withdrawing money?

Also I'm looking for a bag that I can still bring as carry on but big enough for all my stuff any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

hunter164 wrote: »
    Also I'm looking for a bag that I can still bring as carry on but big enough for all my stuff

Travelling like a ninja. Thats the way to go alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

hunter164 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Are the charges ridiculous for withdrawing money?

Also I'm looking for a bag that I can still bring as carry on but big enough for all my stuff any recommendations?

just go back from doing this trip.Gave 2 months in thailand,vietnam and cambodia.
    I had no set plans before I went other than a VOA for vietnam.
    Definitely the way to go.Make it up as you go along.

I got a revolut mastercard(do a search here) before I went.They dont charge for withdrawals.However Thai banks charge 200 baht (€5) per withdrawal which is pretty steep.vietnam and cambodia charge also but is a little bit less.

I brought a 32l backpack and a small shoulder bag.Never stopped once for carry on luggage.You can get laundry done almost anywhere for a euro or less.

If I was going again I would bring euro cash with me and exchange it there.You will get a better rate on the street than in airports or banks.

If you need any more info send me a PM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement