Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griddle

• 13-04-2016 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi folks :) long time lurker and first time poster in this forum! Looking for some advice; I was gifted a Denby griddle pan a couple of months ago, tried to use it just the once and it was an absolute disaster, I smoked out our kitchen!

I'm in the middle of moving house and moving to a much bigger, nicer kitchen and would like to get some use out of the pan, as I would imagine it cost €50+! I've already thought of using it for steak, maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Hi folks :) long time lurker and first time poster in this forum! Looking for some advice; I was gifted a Denby griddle pan a couple of months ago, tried to use it just the once and it was an absolute disaster, I smoked out our kitchen!

I'm in the middle of moving house and moving to a much bigger, nicer kitchen and would like to get some use out of the pan, as I would imagine it cost €50+! I've already thought of using it for steak, maybe?

Perfect for steak. But you're cooking (searing) meat at very high temperatures so you're going to have a fair bit of smoke. Having the extractor fan on, windows and doors open help. If the pan is suitable for the oven then finishing in the oven will reduce smoke / smell.

Some other tips that may help:
    Oil the meat rather than the pan. Oiling a pan is pointless really as the oil will run down to the funnels and just end up burning.
    Don't use think marinates, they'll just burn as well.

Have a Le Creuset griddle pan and it was my worst kitchen investment (well, it was a gift). Far too heavy for practical use and cleaning imo. My much cheaper cast iron base and wooden handle griddle pan gets all the use in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Great reply!! Thank you :) it is incredibly heavy. Do you think it would be possible to use for chicken breast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Great reply!! Thank you :) it is incredibly heavy. Do you think it would be possible to use for chicken breast?

Absolutely fine. Just make sure the chicken is cooked thoroughly. A griddle will cook the outside very fast (once you've heated up the griddle in advance for 5+ mins) so be sure the inside is cooked. Once it's seared you could pop it in the oven.

Now that I think of it, I've never done anything bar steak on mine.

There'll be plenty of help out there (YouTube etc) on using a griddle if unfamiliar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Get one of these and a bottle of lpg gas and griddle your steaks outside. Also great for asparagus, aubergine and courgette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Chicken is lovely done on the griddle pan but either flatten it out or don't super heat the pan. You will still get char marks at medium heat if you leave whatever is on it alone for a sufficient period of time

I also use mine for asparagus, aubergine, courgette, baby gem lettuce (quartered) bread, baby leeks, sprouting broccoli, pork chops, sausages...

Ooh peaches are amazing griddles! Served with raspberries, creme fraiche and any almond biscuits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Great!! Thanks folks :) can't wait to give it a go in the new kitchen!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Halloumi also benefits from grill lines and the little bit of char flavour that brings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Resurrecting this thread mods...

I got a griddle pan (JML brand copper stone) just this week, and am starting to really like it. It smoked a hell of a lot on my first attempt, but I had it on the highest temp on the hob. I might have used too much oil on the veg too, and I'm thinking maybe I should use sunflower or rapeseed instead of olive oil due to the high temp?

Anyway, mostly just veg so far, especially courgettes and aubergines, which I never liked fried. Lamb kebabs came out great. Will try fish and chicken next. It's also really good for tomatoes, much less greasy. I haven't used a regular grill in years, I just find them messy and unpleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Haven’t used our griddle in a while. It’s a Le Cresuet (sp?) one, can’t remember how we got it, it was so long ago, but it’s only good for maybe two helpings of whatever your griddling. And then you have the smoke…….

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've been doing batches of vegetables, then storing them for use over a few days, I'm eating more veggies that way. The smoke wasn't too bad once I lowered the temp to medium high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

My Le Creuset griddle is sitting in the press unused now for at least a couple of years. The main thing it was bought for was steaks and burgers but Ive now come to the thinking that while grills marks are nice to look at they do nothing for the flavour of meat compared to a flat pan where you can achieve a nice crust all over by all of it having contact with the pan.

Advertisement