Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if ISIS attacked Ireland?

Options
  • 13-04-2016 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

So with the latest attacks in Brussels airport and the recent arrest of two men at shipol airport, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if we wore attacked by Isis? I mean the Gardai can't even stop or deal with a gang shootout in a hotel, how would they handle such a large scale attack? Would the army be called to the streets?, would we suddenly not be nuetral anymore? It's interesting if like to hear others thoughts on it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

So with the latest attacks in Brussels airport and the recent arrest of two men at shipol airport, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if we wore attacked by Isis? I mean the Gardai can't even stop or deal with a gang shootout in a hotel, how would they handle such a large scale attack? Would the army be called to the streets?, would we suddenly not be nuetral anymore? It's interesting if like to hear others thoughts on it

More in likely yes Army would be brought in but only to support the Gardai. Alot of people underestimate the capability of some units in AGS. Emergency Response Unit (ERU) and Regional Support Unit (RSU) would be the ones directly dealing with the attack. ARW would be called in at last resort if ERU are stretched to the limit. People don't realize how good the ERU are and are rated as one of the best in Europe. SDU are well able to monitor any suspects and have shown how good they are in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

AGS and The Army have history here of dealing with terrorists, so are experienced, granted a different breed and not suicidal.

My only concern would be adequate resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭TheFatHombre

My issue would be if there was a large attack in one area of Dublin and then another attack in the airport, I feel the Gardai and other institutions would not have the training to deal with such an atrocity

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

If ISIS ever attack Ireland we will all be in sheer amazement at the amount of pigs flying above our heads to even notice.

It won't happen.

If ISIS ever attack Ireland we will all be in sheer amazement at the amount of pigs flying above our heads to even notice.

It won't happen.

But it's a possibility, especially Dublin airport becoming the most busiest in Europe, it would seem like a legitimate target

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

It won't happen.

Just look at what's happen in naas road at moment

A car believed to contain explosives has been stopped by @GardaTraffic on Naas Road, Dublin. Two men have been arrested.

POGAN wrote: »
    Just look at what's happen in naas road at moment

A car believed to contain explosives has been stopped by @GardaTraffic on Naas Road, Dublin. Two men have been arrested.

Ye I seen that any more information on the men

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

But it's a possibility, especially Dublin airport becoming the most busiest in Europe, it would seem like a legitimate target
    "Most busiest"? :D

Frankfurt, Heathrow, CDG, Munich....

The 2015 stats put us at 18th busiest. Sorry, mostly busy... most busiest? Whatever. No need to be most panickedestest.

Be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

ISIS will never attack Ireland, for the simple reason that we're an ideal marshalling area & logistics hub to support their organisations operations in europe, mainly due to our lack of secured borders, lack of military, absence of intelligence agencies and inadequate police services.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

kub wrote: »
    AGS and The Army have history here of dealing with terrorists

Really? Have all those Garda and Army people not retired or even died by now? The Good Friday agreement was in 1998. The height of the troubles in Ireland was around the late 70s/early 80s.

Remember that report from a few years ago during the pay freeze that senior people were retiring and experienced officers were not being promoted.

Really? Have all those Garda and Army people not retired or even died by now? The Good Friday agreement was in 1998. The height of the troubles in Ireland was around the late 70s/early 80s.

Remember that report from a few years ago during the pay freeze that senior people were retiring and experienced officers were not being promoted.

And yet there are still plenty of dissidents getting arrested.

Advertisement