Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loan to fund pension

• 13-04-2016 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭

Say someone under the age of 30 earning 45k PA but doesn't have cashflow.

Would it make sense to take a low interest loan from credit union or some other source to pay into a pension.

Max Pension: 45k at 15% = €6,750k

Tax relief of €2,400

Loan of €6,750 over 2 years with AIB works out at interest of about €850

Doesn't have cashflow at the moment but could afford loan repayments.

I'm sure there is holes to be picked here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

I would not do that!
    If you don't have a cashflow and an emergency comes up - and you already picked a loan...

Improve your cashflow/expenses
    check https://www.mabs.ie/ as well

Create emergency savings worth 6 times of your monthly budget - the rest you can put in a pension / invest / save for a mortage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Prompts a hypothetical one though, for someone at the other end of the spectrum approaching retirement and on the top tax rate, say 2-3 years from it, is borrowing money the correct thing to do ?

i.e. Borrow to a level that the pension lump sum will easily pay off, but the gain is the tax free topup to the pension fund that more than offsets the interest rate of the loan.

Advertisement