Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing weight quickly!

• 13-04-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I know, I know, weightloss shouldn't be quick - but in this case it needs to be - my husband is carrying a lot of extra weight and is failing to get life insurance on our mortgage - we are both in our early forties so we don't have a whole pile of time to waste - we were really lucky to get approved for a mortgage but the Life insurers have postponed him for 3 months and want to see a real weightloss in that time - he also has high blood pressure and cholesterol.

I don't think he has any real understanding of how serious these issues are and while he does know that he needs to lose weight he's not very committed. He's looking to me to fix it and I can't do that. I used to be quite overweight myself but I lost my weight at slimming world and now I run to keep it off. He has no interest in joining a slimming club and I don't know how best to help him. Any advice for me??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

lfcgirl wrote: »
    I know, I know, weightloss shouldn't be quick - but in this case it needs to be - my husband is carrying a lot of extra weight and is failing to get life insurance on our mortgage - we are both in our early forties so we don't have a whole pile of time to waste - we were really lucky to get approved for a mortgage but the Life insurers have postponed him for 3 months and want to see a real weightloss in that time - he also has high blood pressure and cholesterol.

I don't think he has any real understanding of how serious these issues are and while he does know that he needs to lose weight he's not very committed. He's looking to me to fix it and I can't do that. I used to be quite overweight myself but I lost my weight at slimming world and now I run to keep it off. He has no interest in joining a slimming club and I don't know how best to help him. Any advice for me??

Nothing will happen until this is fixed.

Hello,

Why not get an exercise DVD so he can exercise in the privacy of his own home.
    I have no interest in joining a gym, so I usually work out at home.

First tried Gillian michaels 30day shred. That was cool. Around 15euros, you need light dumbbell weights too. It's every day for 30 days, 27mins a day. Both me and my girlfriend really enjoyed this, not too crazy

I am currently half way through insanity, this is a 2 month long, more intense cardio workout. No weights are needed and it's expensive, I think 140 in Argos now

I have to say, I've really enjoyed doing both of these. He'd wanna make some effort with his diet too, but I believe both of these options would be a good idea.

If he hasn't exercised in a while, he might not stick with insanity as it is a bit tough and I'm fairly fit. Insanity is 6 days a week for 9 weeks. First month is 40 mins a day, second month is 60mins per day

Also, I don't know how his high blood pressure could be impacted by cardio workouts. Perhaps a trip to his gp before starting any excercise programme

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mrs cockett

I BELIEVE THE MILITARY DIET WORKS. GOOGLE IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

I BELIEVE THE MILITARY DIET WORKS. GOOGLE IT

Never heard of this b4

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

Can you not help him do slimming world from home. He doesn't need to go to meetings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Teaching him about proper nutrition and excersise will help. He'd prob lose close to 3 stone in his first 3 months. Not so much after. The insurance can't expect anything more than that.
    But, as correctly pointed out by a previous poster, if he dosent think there's a problem then that's the real issue.
    It's like he's looking to you to hand him a magic pill so he won't have to put in any effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Considering the deadline and implications, then surely just investing in some help from an experienced coach is the best way to go?

He's going to have to put in some effort no matter how you break it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickarooney

I hate to be blunt, but if your husband doesn't think he needs to lose weight, despite him being so overweight that an insurance company will not give him cover, then you have your work cut out for you.

You need to explain to your husband that it's not normal to be refused mortgage protection because you're overweight. You need to spell it out for him that the reason that they refuse to cover him is because he is at a much higher risk of death than the average person. Death. That's what they're insuring you against, and they aren't willing to cover him because of the high risk they will have to pay out within the term of the mortgage.

Forget about buying a house for a minute here, your husband needs to lose weight to be around for you in a few years.

If he can't see that then ain't no magic pill going to make him three stone lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Watch fat sick and nearly dead on Netflix or YouTube.

I lost loads of weight and felt so good afterwards. Juiced and ate healthy for 60 days and lost a considerable amount and felt so much better. 2 years later of eating less bread, sweets and no fizzy drinks, the weight has stayed off and I'm 28KGs lighter and haven't put anything back on and juice max 3 times a week. I still eat take always but not all the time, I'm far more knowledgeable about what I eat these days.

If you do juice, it's up to you on how much you want to lose and if you want to eat at the same time. Ie. Having a juice to replace one meal and eat normally for the other two meals. He will have to want to do it though..

Good luck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have to say, I've really enjoyed doing both of these. He'd wanna make some effort with his diet too, but I believe both of these options would be a good idea.

He'd want to be making *serious* effort with his diet before he even considers either of those options.

Food is waaaaay more important than exercise for attaining and maintaining a healthy weight. He can 30 Day Shred til judgement day and it won't make a blind bit of difference if he's still eating rings around himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think he has any real understanding of how serious these issues are and while he does know that he needs to lose weight he's not very committed.

There is no quick fix. The fact is is so dismissive of it is quite scary.
    even if he fixed it in 3 months, it sounds like he'll give up and be back where he is in another 3 months.

Where does that leave you and your mortgage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I am not sure how over weight you would need to be to be refused life assurance but I assume VERY.

Given that, I would imagine the best thing to do would be to work on the diet first, fix that before introducing any exercises or routines.
    As already said, he is going to need to be willing [very willing fact] so I imagine thats the first hurdle.

Advertisement