Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why i thinkk .22 sporting pistols are better

Options
  • 13-04-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I recently went shooting bought two bulk boxes of .22 lr cost 70 euro. total number of rounds 1040

took me nearly the whole day to shoot the lot.
    1. you can still get licences for .22 sporting pistols
    2. they teach you the right technique on how to shoot with out recoil
    3. if I had shot of a .38 or 9mm total cost for the same amount of ammo would have cost me 376 euro.
    4. if I had shot .30 cal total cost would have been 565 euro

I feel these are four good reasons why .22 sporting pistol are better all round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Sounds like a good day. Where are you shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

I can see your point with regard the fundamentals of pistol shooting, but your post is not as valid as it could be as no new centre fire pistol apps are to considered for the foreseen future.... It's 22 pistol or no pistol for most people..

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭hermes2011

that's what it would cost me to shoot so off my other sporting firearms

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Deaf git

208 magazine's worth in one day (presuming it's unrestricted) = sore thumbs.
    My Browning wouldn't manage a full Federal bulk pack without cleaning at around 350-400 mark.

fed them through pistol,and rifle. have several magazines for both

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Delighted you enjoyed yourself, and that is what shooting is all about.

However what Tackleberry. said. The debate is moot. Its a .22 or nothing.

I will say you're right on the cost. 1,040 rounds is a serious amount of shooting for little money. Even splitting between the pistol and rifle its a full shift at the range and as one poster said sore thumbs reloading 5 shot mags. The same shooting for me with my C/F would cost €260 (thats what it costs per thousand rounds).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

You could have shot the same amount through an air pistol for about fifteen quid, and if you're concerned with learning about technique, that's one that'll teach you better than a .22 will, for the same reasons that a .22 will teach you better than a 9mm. That said, if I wanted to do some events obviously I can't with a single shot air pistol. Similarly, there are events that can't be shot with a .22 pistol. This is why there is no such thing as better.

You could have shot the same amount through an air pistol for about fifteen quid, and if you're concerned with learning about technique, that's one that'll teach you better than a .22 will, for the same reasons that a .22 will teach you better than a 9mm. That said, if I wanted to do some events obviously I can't with a single shot air pistol. Similarly, there are events that can't be shot with a .22 pistol. This is why there is no such thing as better.

you are quite right there is no one discipline better than any other, the only reason I posted it was is because I always hear people talking about C/F which I own as if they are the be all and end all of everything. I was just trying to explain that you can have a whole days enjoyment of shooting for very little money with a .22 be it pistol rifle or benchrest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hermes2011 wrote: »
    ........... I always hear people talking about C/F which I own as if they are the be all and end all of everything. .......

Its not the be all and end all, but i have to say there is something about being able to reach out the distances with a centrefire.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement