Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying parts for 2004 UK spec 130bhp highline passat

• 13-04-2016 11:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Some classless fkr hit my mirror the other day and ripped it off while I was in the shops buying a sliced pan.

This model

Any idea where I could find a replacement housing in Ireland?

My gearbox is on the way out too, grateing in 2nd and into 3rd - will I I have to replace it or could it be a smaller issue?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try www.partfinder.ie for the mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Try www.partfinder.ie for the mirror.

Seems to be a couple on there alright. I'll send them an email in the morning, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Any breakers should have a mirror housing, although they're starting to disappear off our roads fairly quickly at this stage. I'd say your gearbox is kaput, is it 5 or 6 speed? The 6 speed are frail enough especially if a tow hitch is involved.

jca wrote: »
    Any breakers should have a mirror housing, although they're starting to disappear off our roads fairly quickly at this stage. I'd say your gearbox is kaput, is it 5 or 6 speed? The 6 speed are frail enough especially if a tow hitch is involved.

5 speed gearbox. To be fair it's going downhill for over a year now. I'm nursing it into gear most of the time. Often when It's in neutral and I try for putting it into first it won't go in so I have to put it in reverse first, then it goes straight in.

I suppose a gearbox would be ~€350-€400 plus labor?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 124 ✭✭Dark sun

• Advertisement

Mine is 2004 with the indicator in it. I'll probably pick one up from a breakers alright as the poster above suggested.

Hopefully anyway.

*just saw your edit. I'll give a look, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are still plenty of those Passats on the roads and in scrap yards so sourcing parts should not be a problem whether the car is a UK import or not. Also if you can get the VW part numbers then you might be able widen your search as generally a lot of parts tend to be shared across the VAG range. Ie I think the facelifted Mk1 Skoda Superb from 2007 to 2009 had the same exterior mirrors as the 2004/2005 B5 Passat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Gearbox or dual mass flywheel/clutch? Mine was at the same, you had to stop the engine, select reverse and then restart with the clutch down.

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are still plenty of those Passats on the roads and in scrap yards so sourcing parts should not be a problem whether the car is a UK import or not. Also if you can get the VW part numbers then you might be able widen your search as generally a lot of parts tend to be shared across the VAG range. Ie I think the facelifted Mk1 Skoda Superb from 2007 to 2009 had the same exterior mirrors as the 2004/2005 B5 Passat.

Good idea. I'll be buying a good few parts over the coming month and hopefully throwing them in for the NCT. Car is probably only worth around 2k so might as well put a few quid in it and drive on I suppose.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Gearbox or dual mass flywheel/clutch? Mine was at the same, you had to stop the engine, select reverse and then restart with the clutch down.

No, no need to stop the engine. Lets say I'm at traffic lights in neutral with the handbrake up. I have to clutch and select reverse then without de-clutching put it into first.

It seems fine though once the car has warmed up after say 10 miles. I don't find the gearbox as bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement