Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 - N10

Options
  • 13-04-2016 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I've been travelling to Kilkenny city with work quite a bit the past few months. Just something I noticed when coming off the M9 and onto the N10 into Kilkenny, just after the roundabout there are always a number of cars randomly parked on the side of the road. Initially I thought it must be a sport pitch of some sort but no matter what time I pass this junction, there is always cars parked up.

Is there a popular walking trail here? It's not a bus stop.

Does anyone know???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

wrmwit wrote: »
    I've been travelling to Kilkenny city with work quite a bit the past few months. Just something I noticed when coming off the M9 and onto the N10 into Kilkenny, just after the roundabout there are always a number of cars randomly parked on the side of the road. Initially I thought it must be a sport pitch of some sort but no matter what time I pass this junction, there is always cars parked up.

Does anyone know???

Car pooling for people going to work in Waterford, Dublin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Does anyone know???

This at the Waterford road junction? Definitely car poolers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Yeah happens at most junctions. Carpooling. Good to see it happening and should be encouraged more.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already said, its carpooling, you'll see the exact same at the Carlow junctions,
    Should def be encouraged more

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I think this happens at every exit on/off the M9 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Ah interesting. It makes sense. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Ah interesting. It makes sense. Great idea.

A dedicated car pooling spot with security and a coffee machine type kiosk could make a few pound and provide a safer service.. The like of the old John Sisk motor way construction site office that you see on the n77 link road could easily be repurposed for a car park like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Someone came home from work a couple of years ago to find their car flattened by a tree..
    In theory its a great idea, but they are parked in front of gates leading into fields, and also parked illegally on the hard shoulder..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Someone came home from work a couple of years ago to find their car flattened by a tree..
    In theory its a great idea, but they are parked in front of gates leading into fields, and also parked illegally on the hard shoulder..

But what's to stop the government/ NRA/ county council setting up such parks?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

But what's to stop the government/ NRA/ county council setting up such parks?
    Nothing...but would you pay a fiver or more to park in one..per day..and would they have enough available space at each slip road..without doing another CPO for each one..and why would they when they would get more from fuel taxes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

There wouldnt be a need to put one on each exit but only close to the Urban Centres like Kilkenny Carlow and along the route. For a local authority, there is either an opportunity to obtain rates or revenue from small manned carparks. You could have them as automatic as you care to have them, NFC payment tag on and off, payment via GSM, carpark camera connected to a control roll or private security service. Leap or etoll tags could be used.

But just like the motorway service stations, it would probably be driven by private enterprise. Sites like the Car boot sale on the Callan road that have hardcore already would be easier to set up. The car boot sale is too far away from the M9 obviously.

There wouldnt be a need to put one on each exit but only close to the Urban Centres like Kilkenny Carlow and along the route.
    Cars pool at every exit...ie. knocktopher..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

While setting up paid car parks, coffee shops etc at exits all sounds great, really people are not going to use any of that if they are car pooling.

The whole point of car pooling is saving money, so people aren't going to pay for parking or coffee, they may as well just drive to work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

PaulKK wrote: »
    While setting up paid car parks, coffee shops etc at exits all sounds great, really people are not going to use any of that if they are car pooling.

The whole point of car pooling is saving money, so people aren't going to pay for parking or coffee, they may as well just drive to work.

Right in you saying that carpooling is to save money but that don't mean people don't buy coffee etc but a trip to Dublin for petrol is what 20-25 return. It doesn't mean that they won't spend money.

I think if car pooling carparks were introduced it would encourage more people to partake.

kikel wrote: »
    Right in you saying that carpooling is to save money but that don't mean people don't buy coffee etc but a trip to Dublin for petrol is what 20-25 return. It doesn't mean that they won't spend money.

I think if car pooling carparks were introduced it would encourage more people to partake.

If the carparks were free yes.

I would like to see car parking provided too, since a lot of people who car pool seem to think its ok to block private entrances etc. However it would only work if it was free. They don't need anything overly fancy, a gravel yard would do.

I can't see people spending the guts of a fiver on a coffee and a few euro to park for the day when they are trying to save money in the first place. If you are driving long distances you should have a more economical car than what you mentioned. My yolk will do a return trip to Dublin for €15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would only go down the road of a car park with 20 odd spaces, no fees or coffee dock and just stick a couple of cameras there, purely to promote car pooling.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Just noticed this evening, cameras being installed at the Garda ramp prior to the first Kilkenny exit southbound.

citykat wrote: »
    Just noticed this evening, cameras being installed at the Garda ramp prior to the first Kilkenny exit southbound.

Any idea as to their purpose? Just noticed them myself.

Someone sitting in an office going click click or a robot doing it...?

Someone sitting in an office going click click or a robot doing it...?

For speeding? Tax/insurance?

• Advertisement

For speeding? Tax/insurance?
    No idea, but could be for detecting bald tyres...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

citykat wrote: »

No idea. There's cctv on the nra site. Presume it'll sit there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Cameras to catch burgulars who use the motorway network for a quick escape...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/cameras-to-be-installed-on-motorways-to-catch-criminals-1.2362891

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Cars pool at every exit...ie. knocktopher..

The same before going on to the M9 at Carlow.

Last night, came across a 3 car shunt plus there may have been more at danesfort just before the roundabout at the flyover on the Kilkenny city side...the last few days there have been many more cars parked as usual there.
    Suspect the cause of the shunt was someone pulling out of the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

what is a shunt?

mick kk wrote: »
    what is a shunt?

From the oxford dictionary..

1.1British informal A motor accident, especially a collision of vehicles travelling one close behind the other. ‘a lorry shed its load, causing an eight-vehicle shunt’

Advertisement