Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Spent Hops?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have googled and cant find recent information on where to get a volume of Spent Hops for mulching in my garden. Looking for circa 1 ton.

Thanks in advance!

Redma

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

redman wrote: »
    Hi

I have googled and cant find recent information on where to get a volume of Spent Hops for mulching in my garden. Looking for circa 1 ton.

Thanks in advance!

Redma

Try local craft breweries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Thanks, Guinness used to deliver a few ton in a 10 ton truck back in the 80s to my family home, but I gather they use it in animal feed now.

I have contacted a few microbreweries but the trick of course they cant deliver!

Thanks, Guinness used to deliver a few ton in a 10 ton truck back in the 80s to my family home, but I gather they use it in animal feed now.

I have contacted a few microbreweries but the trick of course they cant deliver!

Could a local farmer help with transport for a consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I don't think it is hops you want, they are toxic to animals. The waste material from the breweries, used for cattle feed, is what the farmers call "grains". When I was young the farmers from my area, (Finglas), used to go to the brewery with a tractor and trailer or small truck to collect. You could probably pay a small farmer or one of those "garden clearance" guys with a small tipper to collect them.
    If you are going to use the grains as a mulch you could use it right away, but it would need to rot down for some time if required as a fertiliser. If dealing with a farmer, why not get some manure while you're at it, they might have the main herd in a slatted shed, but will also have some traditional farmyard manure produced in calf sheds etc.

I don't think it is hops you want, they are toxic to animals. The waste material from the breweries, used for cattle feed, is what the farmers call "grains". When I was young the farmers from my area, (Finglas), used to go to the brewery with a tractor and trailer or small truck to collect. You could probably pay a small farmer or one of those "garden clearance" guys with a small tipper to collect them.
    If you are going to use the grains as a mulch you could use it right away, but it would need to rot down for some time if required as a fertiliser. If dealing with a farmer, why not get some manure while you're at it, they might have the main herd in a slatted shed, but will also have some traditional farmyard manure produced in calf sheds etc.

I thought hops were only fatally bad for dogs and possibly cats?

Brewing waste is definitely fed to pigs and I believe that cows will tolerate a small amount of hops mixed in with other stuff.

Also used as a sedative in horses if I remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

We used get hops from Smithwicks brewery in Kilkenny. A lorryload would be delivered wet (free!) but had to be moved immediately onto the garden as they dried out very quickly and then it was like trying to shovel feathers! We had a small suburban garden that was little more than sand and we created a good garden using hops. I think they have found another way of disposing of them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Yes I think your right. I am struggling to find any and clearly they have got things things sorted across microbreweries as well as the larger incumbents.

So back to wood chips i reckon , I am looking for a mulch , not a manure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Yes I think your right. I am struggling to find any and clearly they have got things things sorted across microbreweries as well as the larger incumbents.

So back to wood chips i reckon , I am looking for a mulch , not a manure
    try a local tree surgeon, they usually have loads of chips from the shredders.

Advertisement