Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer Question

Options
  • 14-04-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Can someone please enlighten me .

My immersion timer is acting up so I'm going to chance my arm at replacing it.
    My plan was to buy the exact same model so I didn't have to think about it too much, just stick the wire back in the same hole - problem is it's discontinued! So I guess i'll have to get a different one and use my head:mad:

I live in an apartment and have a day time / night time meter as I have storage heating. The immersion runs on either depending on the time of day. Would I be right in assuming the timer would need to take account of this - i.e not just any old cheapy immersion timer would do?

I want to save a few bob and all that but I still want it to be done right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The immersion timer doesn't need to take any account of the day/night meter. The day/night meter simply swaps from the daytime usage counter to nighttime usage counter for cheaper night units.

Simply set the immersion timer for sometime after midnight to use the cheaper night rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,338 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I may be wrong, but I think there is (much) more than one wire there? Think 10/20 wires - if it's anything like a thermostat.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mossy14

There will probably be 6 wires at the immersion timer, 2 x blue wires - neutral In from the feed side + neutral out which will go to the immersion switch (sink + bath switch), also 2 x browns - a live from the feed side + a live going out to the immersion switch. Will be 2 earth wires also (green/yellow). straight forward just disconnect one wire at a time and keep note of which is the feed (in) and (out). Turn off your power too obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Thanks for the help folks.

Sorry, didn't mean to be ignorant - I've just been very busy!

Advertisement