Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fathers and new paternity leave

Options
  • 14-04-2016 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone clarify for me this confusion i have with paternity leave for new fathers.

From September fathers are entitled to 2 weeks paid paternity leave.

Does this only apply to children born in September or after or can it be for child born no more than 26 weeks prior to this date?

The legislation states the leave can be taken up to 26 weeks after the child is born.

I have a new baby due in June and I'm wondering if ill be entitled to take it in September as this is within 26 weeks

citizens information states "Budget 2016: It was announced that statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks is to be introduced, together with a new Paternity Benefit, in respect of births from September 2016." however this was last updated in October of 2015 prior to the budget and etc.

any info is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Hi,

Can anyone clarify for me this confusion i have with paternity leave for new fathers.

Does this only apply to children born in September or after or can it be for child born no more than 26 weeks prior to this date?

The legislation states the leave can be taken up to 26 weeks after the child is born.

I have a new baby due in June and I'm wondering if ill be entitled to take it in September as this is within 26 weeks

citizens information states "Budget 2016: It was announced that statutory paternity leave of 2 weeks is to be introduced, together with a new Paternity Benefit, in respect of births from September 2016." however this was last updated in October of 2015 prior to the budget and etc.

any info is appreciated

There was an old thread about this resurrected last week. I didn't pay much attention to it, because it won't apply to my partner anyhow. I just rooted back through it though, and this article was linked.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/paternity-leave-legislation-to-be-fast-tracked-in-family-leave-bill-1.2583636

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Fathers would be entitled to 2 weeks paid if the legislation had been enacted. But it hasn't. And considering we're 6 weeks without a government already I can't see it being passed before they go on their summer break. So extremely unlikely you'll get it. Legislation is very rarely retrospective too.

Advertisement