Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snack options in between meals

• 14-04-2016 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭

Been on decent fitness plan for past 4-5 months.

Lost 2 1/2 stone and see myself toning and getting stronger all around.

The food I eat

Morning, porridge or scrambled egg with toast or omelette if after training. Try eat fruit like Apple or Strawberries.

Lunch mostly salad with egg or chicken or soap with brown bread

After work good veg like Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower And Spinach with some meat like Chicken or Steak or Salmon

I know what people will say about bread and your right and trying cut that out as much as possible.

Thing is I like have snacks in between meals when I feel Hungary.

Hears good things about Almonds and Nuts.

What would people recommend? I see healthy snacks in Tesco and Holland and Barretts but insure if going right way

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I eat nuts, fruit and oatcakes+peanut butter for snacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hard to bate a good yoghurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I also like a couple of squares of 90% lindt - about 125 kcals, lasts a while, high fat and and a bit of caffeine too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭sheldon16

Lunch mostly salad with egg or chicken or soap with brown bread

Whats soap with brown bread like? ah no fair play to ya !

I go with fruit and almonds

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Whats soap with brown bread like?

Fibre + soap = colon cleanse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Soup soup!!haha.

I do have odd yougart but heard it's not great from you, although I always thought opposite?

Then again I suppose every food has a bad for you in some way

Soup soup!!haha.

I do have odd yougart but heard it's not great from you, although I always thought opposite?

Depends on the yoghurt. The better ones (that I know of) would have something like 55 kcals per 100g with ~4g sugar, 10g protein. Decent stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My afternoon snack is an apple, banana and some cheese or nuts. Usually some babybels. The fruit alone isn't enough to provide satiety, but the cheese helps with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

A Babybel
    Dark chocolate
    Nut butter on sliced banana
    Nut butter on oatcakes
    Homemade raw chocolate or coconut bark (loads of recipes online)
    If in a rush, a couple of big spoons of peanut butter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

not the cleanest but cleanish: Tesco Salt and Vinegar Rice Cakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Handful of nuts and fruit
    Cheese and fruit
    Cottage cheese either with diced peppers or nuts/seeds or nut butter
    Small yoghurt
    Hummus and carrot/celery sticks
    Egg muffins
    Egg whites with roasted veg
    Rice cakes with nut butter and jam
    Possibilities are endless, go and try!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭fits

Cold Hard boiled egg with a bit of hellmans on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Natural or Greek yoghurt is good. I throw in a few nuts and seeds and/or oats.

Always have a few Quest bars at hand for this kind of occasion and a nutri bullet for a spinach/fruit smoothie. Have smoked fish in the fridge too. The cold Mackerel fillets you get in any supermarket are handy and filling, cheap too.

Make your own protein bars too and keep a few handy. Plenty recipes on this forum if you search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My Plan A if I was getting hungry between meals would be to eat bigger meals. Load in more veg and protein. Eat veg until you're all "oh man I am so fucking full of vegetables". No one ever got fat on broccoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I like eating carrots as a snack. They are sweet and fill ya up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Greek Yougurt with some blueberries or else sliced banana in peanut butter does the trick for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Protein shakes if your training weights...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Zillah wrote: »
    My Plan A if I was getting hungry between meals would be to eat bigger meals. Load in more veg and protein. Eat veg until you're all "oh man I am so fucking full of vegetables". No one ever got fat on broccoli.

won't work - regular eating keeps the metabolism up and makes sure you donlt "feel" hungry which leads to over eating.

I went from over 19st to under 15 st in the last 3 years by just doing some swimming and eating properly.

For snacks

handful of nuts - I go for the salted mixed nuts from Aldi - very little salk in overall diet, so a little to make the nuts taste good is fine.

But here's my favourite - 2 ryvita with jalapeno relish and sliced chicken or beef. (no butter) Tastes real good and total calories is about 50 in each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

VincePP wrote: »
    won't work - regular eating keeps the metabolism up and makes sure you donlt "feel" hungry which leads to over eating.

I don't know what the words after the first two are supposed to mean, but I assure you, it works for me. I am far more likely to crave snacks if I have smaller main meals.

VincePP wrote: »

Is it true you need 8 meals a day or every 2 hours or else your metabolism grinds to a halt and you gain all of the fat?

• Advertisement

Liberte Greek style yougert aswell is class... 0% fat, lots of protein!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Gotta be careful with Greek 'style' yogurt. It's protein is denatured due to the high acidity of the manufacturing processes (removing whey). It results in tonnes of literally useless whey that kills aquatic life if dumped and is labeled toxic. The remaining casein (yogurt) has a crappy amino profile.

As a hunger filler it's great. As a source of protein it's poor nutritionally. A bit like UHT milk.

Actual Greek strained yogurt is totally different.

The stuff I recommend came from a sports science nutritionist. That's the only yougert he'll let you eat and 1 pot should last 5 servings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭caviardreams

househero wrote: »
    Gotta be careful with Greek 'style' yogurt. It's protein is denatured due to the high acidity of the manufacturing processes (removing whey). It results in tonnes of literally useless whey that kills aquatic life if dumped and is labeled toxic. The remaining casein (yogurt) has a crappy amino profile.

As a hunger filler it's great. As a source of protein it's poor nutritionally. A bit like UHT milk.

Actual Greek strained yogurt is totally different.

Just to say - in some cases Greek 'style' yogurt is the exact same as Greek yogurt - bar country of origin. Any yogurt manufactured outside Greece cannot be called "greek yogurt" by EU labelling regs. The Glenisk Greek yogurt for example uses the authentic greek straining method, but legally cannot call itself "Greek yogurt" so has to go by "greek style" yogurt simply because it is not made in Greece.

This obviously depends on each individual yogurt's manufacturing process but you can't delineate between the quality of Greek and "greek style" just based on the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I see few mention Peanut butter.

Is it good for you once in moderation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I go with almond butter with oat cakes and/or apples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Healthy fats and protein. Yep it's good, in moderation as its high in calories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Eat Californian Raisons. Their really tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Snacks that I commonly eat...
    • Home made protein bar (recipe here) with an apple/pear
    • Plain Greek/Greek style yoghurt (i.e. ~9-10g protein and ~3-4g sugar per 100g e.g. Fage Total, Liberté, Glenisk) with some of the following:
      • Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
      • Passion fruit
      • Flaxseed
      • Chia seed
      • Jam (with no added sugar such as St. Dalfour or Folláin)
    • Museli (no added sugar) and almond milk (unsweetened)
    • Oatcakes with nut butter
    • Porridge & yoghurt bread (recipe here) with natural butter
    • Popcorn (plain)
    • Pineapple (cut up a pineapple(s) into chunks, put into zip lock bags and freeze)
    • Hartley's sugar-free jelly
    • Hard-boiled egg
    • Protein shake (eg. chocolate whey, banana, almond milk, ice)
    That's all I can think of for now!

• Advertisement

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    Eat Californian Raisons. Their really tasty.

Raisins are tasty but they are quite high in sugar.
    One of these 1-oz boxes has 20g sugar... and you'd eat the box in a few seconds :pac:
    Obviously it's better to have the box of raisins than a chocolate bar that has 20g of sugar, but speaking from my own experience, one little box of raisins can become two, or three very easily! And you've ended up consuming a lot of sugar.

Raisins are tasty but they are quite high in sugar.
    One of these 1-oz boxes has 20g sugar... and you'd eat the box in a few seconds :pac:
    Obviously it's better to have the box of raisins than a chocolate bar that has 20g of sugar, but speaking from my own experience, one little box of raisins can become two, or three very easily! And you've ended up consuming a lot of sugar.

God no don't eat an entire box.:eek: It could take several weeks to finish them.:pac:

Yep, good for you in moderation. It's a good source of healthy fats and protein. Here's a link to a pretty cool infographic all about nuts and nut butters. It's too big to embed here, but it's worth a read!

Also be careful what brand you by. The only ingredient should be nuts.
    For example, Panda Peanut Butter has roasted peanuts (90%), sugar, fully hydrogenated palm oil and salt. Whereas Meridian Peanut Butter has roasted peanuts (100%).

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    God no don't eat an entire box.:eek: It could take several weeks to finish them.:pac:

You'd make a 1-oz box last a few weeks? :confused:
    It only contains about 12 raisins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think other people have mentioned my main snacks. Greek style yoghurt(a good one) with some blueberries or other fruit mixed in, celery/carrot sticks and hummous, or occassionally a small bowl of porridge with a spoon of peanut butter mixed through.

Mostly though I keep some roast chicken in the fridge, it's cheap enough to buy a chicken, easy to roast and it'll last you a few days and if I'm hungry I'll cook some broccoli in the microwave(it takes like 3 mins) and have it with the roast chicken and some mustard/horseradish/small bit of salad dressing/whatever condiment you feel like. Great source of protein and you can basically eat broccoli all day without filling up on calories.

You'd make a 1-oz box last a few weeks? :confused:
    It only contains about 12 raisins.

retail-Sunmaid-500g-canister.jpg

• Advertisement

^^^^^^
    Ah okay, we've got our wires crossed. I was referring to the small box whereas you meant the giant tub :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Snacks that I commonly eat...
    • Home made protein bar (recipe here) with an apple/pear
    • Plain Greek/Greek style yoghurt (i.e. ~9-10g protein and ~3-4g sugar per 100g e.g. Fage Total, Liberté, Glenisk) with some of the following:
      • Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
      • Passion fruit
      • Flaxseed
      • Chia seed
      • Jam (with no added sugar such as St. Dalfour or Folláin)
    • Museli (no added sugar) and almond milk (unsweetened)
    • Oatcakes with nut butter
    • Porridge & yoghurt bread (recipe here) with natural butter
    • Popcorn (plain)
    • Pineapple (cut up a pineapple(s) into chunks, put into zip lock bags and freeze)
    • Hartley's sugar-free jelly
    • Hard-boiled egg
    • Protein shake (eg. chocolate whey, banana, almond milk, ice)
    That's all I can think of for now!

Thank you for the yoghurt & porridge bread recipe, I'll be trying that!

To everyone on the thread, when ye mention Greek yoghurt, do you eat the low-fat one or the 'full' one, out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Hummus and raw veg for dipping.

Corn cakes with nut butters

Almonds/Brazil's are filling (but calorific so don't go mad)

You could have a cup of low cal homemade veg soup also. Filling and tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

gutenberg wrote: »

To everyone on the thread, when ye mention Greek yoghurt, do you eat the low-fat one or the 'full' one, out of interest?

Always full fat . Low fat anything should be avoided except milk.

Get the one I posted back along.... 0% fat and lovely taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Fage Greek yoghurt is really nice too, was on the Liberte till I discovered Fage.

For the 'Greek' type yoghurts (~9-10g protein and ~3-4g sugar per 100g) that have no adder sugar..... choose whichever one you want.... The full-fat has more calories, but also makes you feel more full. It's very creamy :) If you want less calories (and the same portion size), go low-fat.
    Always full fat . Low fat anything should be avoided except milk.

@Keane2baMused

But this is milk....
    What's wrong with FAGE Total 0%, Liberté Natural 0%, and Glenisk Natural 0%?? confused.png

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

All the above plus I buy Kinetica chocolate bars.

I am a recovering chocolate addict and when the urge kicks in I eat one.They are about 20g of protein and little sugar so quite healthy and provide the protein needed for my activity.

Plus they taste delicious and satisfy my chocolate need.

Advertisement