Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

50cc in Dublin city?

• 14-04-2016 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Hi folks

I'm thinking about buying a 50cc moped to commute through the city (Dublin).

Would this type of bike be adequate enough to get around? More specifically, fast enough to keep up with traffic etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

In the actual city centre it should be OK but even unrestricted they too out about 75km/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

If you live in Dublin and work in Dublin and dont travel on the m50 it would be grand. Perfect for getting around town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Personally I'd say it's way too slow for enjoyment even in the city. You would soon get bored of it. A 125 on the other hand would be perfect.

I've a 600 as I commute 35km each way but in the city 'm constantly overtaking 50's crawling down the bus lanes around the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If its just for commuting id go for it - i'd even look at maybe a CG125 / YBR125 or a Honda Cub 90. All bulletproof and go on a whiff of fuel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Bandito909

Have a look at the Honda MSX125 or "Grom" the ultimate city bike!!

• Advertisement

Just get it unrestricted and change the rollers and they are good for 100kmh, fine for the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »
    In the actual city centre it should be OK but even unrestricted they too out about 75km/hr

The OP wants a moped, they can only do 45km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Del2005 wrote: »
    The OP wants a moped, they can only do 45km/h.

I had 3 mopeds when i was in school, all could do 70+ km/h... granted the limiter was removed

aaakev wrote: »
    I had 3 mopeds when i was in school, all could do 70+ km/h... granted the limiter was removed

They weren't mopeds they were step throughs or scooters. There is no defined style of moped only a that a moped is a bike that can't exceed 49cc or 45km/h. If you travel to our enlightened continental cousin's you'll see all styles of bike which are mopeds and till recently you'd see 14 year olds on them.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Honda MSX125 or "Grom" the ultimate city bike!!
    Cool little yokes, haven't seen/heard of them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Cool little yokes, haven't seen/heard of them before.

I have one with a Yoshi pipe on it. Great machine and fantastic fun :D

They're like a street legal pit bike !! :pac:

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have one with a Yoshi pipe on it. Great machine and fantastic fun :D

They're like a street legal pit bike !! :pac:

I'm really mad for one of these having seen so many in Asia. Would love one to commute on.

Any pics of your's with the Yoshi?! Must be great craic!! :D how are you finding it so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Bandito909 wrote: »
    Any pics of your's with the Yoshi?! Must be great craic!! :D how are you finding it so far?

Sorry no pics of it. It's in storage on a lift at the moment so can't dig it out.

Its great fun, only got 3 gears, runs on vapour and actually shifts quite well, the suspension is firm and will hold my large carcas (100kilos) without bottoming out. The stock tyres are muck though, useful only for burn outs :p

You'd never guess these were the same model...

2522c8c6d4c0fc46fa74e6249f3aaaf5.jpg

38ff02b737893eb72ba1b8bdae43f158.jpg

honda-msx125-tuning_02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    You'd never guess these were the same model...

2522c8c6d4c0fc46fa74e6249f3aaaf5.jpg

38ff02b737893eb72ba1b8bdae43f158.jpg

honda-msx125-tuning_02.jpg

How much and where can I get 1?:D

@cati

You can get them for 3,500. They have them in m50 Honda, and I saw one last week in bikeworld !

Id buy a 125cc moped and that way you can use the motorways too,and you will have plenty of poke for getting around the city too.

Stopped by Bikeworld this afternoon.

3500 euro for this yellow one.

20160416_143043_zps4py3eiyj.jpg

20160416_143112_zpsj2yv8zen.jpg

20160416_143055_zpsajwyyifb.jpg

They weren't mopeds they were step throughs or scooters. There is no defined style of moped only a that a moped is a bike that can't exceed 49cc or 45km/h. If you travel to our enlightened continental cousin's you'll see all styles of bike which are mopeds and till recently you'd see 14 year olds on them.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

Whatever scooters or mopeds its the same license and they can do a hell of a lot better than 45 kmh when de restricted.

• Advertisement

Whatever scooters or mopeds its the same license and they can do a hell of a lot better than 45 kmh when de restricted.

Did you read the link? Once it goes over 45 it's not the same licence.

Did you read the link? Once it goes over 45 it's not the same licence.

Ok Il give an example, a yamaha aerox 50cc moped, thats what its marketed as will do 100kmh.

You can drive this on a license that is an M licence, maybe technically its not legal to drive it on that license once its capable of that speed. This means half the people driving mopeds in Ireland are driving them illegally cause most are capable of higher that that speed.

Ok Il give an example, a yamaha aerox 50cc moped, thats what its marketed as will do 100kmh.

You can drive this on a license that is an M licence, maybe technically its not legal to drive it on that license once its capable of that speed. This means half the people driving mopeds in Ireland are driving them illegally cause most are capable of higher that that speed.

Not according to Yamaha

http://m.yamaha-motor.eu/ie/products/road/scooters/50cc/aer50

They are scooters or step through, mopeds can be of any type of motorbike from scooter to scrambler and everything in between. Do you think this is a moped?
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_yp250_magesty.htm

Yes most people are riding illegally and they will get in trouble if they have an crash as riding outside the terms of your licence leaves you liable for the insurance company to recoup 3rd party claims. The Gardai, and RSA, are also starting to enforce licence laws much more than before

Not according to Yamaha

http://m.yamaha-motor.eu/ie/products/road/scooters/50cc/aer50

They are scooters or step through, mopeds can be of any type of motorbike from scooter to scrambler and everything in between. Do you think this is a moped?
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_yp250_magesty.htm

Yes most people are riding illegally and they will get in trouble if they have an crash as riding outside the terms of your licence leaves you liable for the insurance company to recoup 3rd party claims

Well this is the crux of it because most people riding 50cc vehicles are riding ones that are capable of more than 45kmh so 90% of 50cc vehicles on the roads are being ridden illegally because they are being ridden by people with an m licence.

A few of the lads crashed scooters capable of well over 45kmh back in the day and the insurance company's always paid out. This is just nonsense.

So your beef is with the RSA then because it shouldn't be labeled an M licence, we should have another category for scooter.

Well this is the crux of it because most people riding 50cc vehicles are riding ones that are capable of more than 45kmh so 90% of 50cc vehicles on the roads are being ridden illegally because they are being ridden by people with an m licence.

A few of the lads crashed mopeds/scooters capable of well over 45kmh back in the day and the insurance company's always paid out. This is just nonsense.

It's against site policy to advise people to break the law.

I edited my last post while you were posting this. Back in the day was a different time. The RSA and Gardai are getting serious about licence violations, look at the amount of people looking for BE licences, and the insurance companies won't be far behind.

It's against site policy to advise people to break the law.

I edited my last post while you were posting this. Back in the day was a different time. The RSA and Gardai are getting serious about licence violations, look at the amount of people looking for BE licences, and the insurance companies won't be far behind.

So really then your average 16 year old that goes and buys what he would call a moped on an M licence is illegal, he should have an A1?

The shop will happily sell him the bike, the insurance company will happily insure him and if stopped by the gardai with the license they will be perfectly happy and wave him on.

Or will they hop on the bike and give it a test to see if it goes over 45kh.

So your beef is with the RSA then because it shouldn't be labeled an M licence, we should have another category for scooter.

I've no beef with the RSA as I know what restrictions apply to each type of licence. Bike licences are now standardised across the EU so fortunately for us it's nothing to do with the RSA.

There's no classification for a scooter. There are several classification of licences for powered two wheelers which are based on top speed or power output.

This is a moped

https://m.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/generic-trigger-x-50-25-45kmh-50ccm-enduro-mofa-moped-bastler/454846989-305-4881

and so is this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puch_Maxi

This isn't a moped

https://www.gumtree.com/p/honda-motorbikes/honda-cub-90/1164932861

So really then your average 16 year old that goes and buys what he would call a moped on an M licence is illegal, he should have an A1?

The shop will happily sell him the bike, the insurance company will happily insure him and if stopped by the gardai with the license they will be perfectly happy and wave him on.

Or will they hop on the bike and give it a test to see if it goes over 45kh.

Yes they need an A1.

It's up to the operator to make sure that they are road legal not anyone else. The Gardai did take bikes off people to check if they where restricted to 33bhp. Insurance companies will always take money off people, they don't like paying out money though so will look for any excuse to avoid it.

Yes they need an A1.

It's up to the operator to make sure that they are road legal not anyone else. The Gardai did take bikes off people to check if they where restricted to 33bhp. Insurance companies will always take money off people, they don't like paying out money though so will look for any excuse to avoid it.

If they set the requirements out as "any vehicle that cannot exceed 45 kmh" and dont specify cc or kw that is farcical. So we basically have every single moped owner in Ireland riding illegally because every 50cc machine is capable of more than that.

If I was one I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over non licence compliance or insurance company's not paying out tbh. Only two years ago I know of someone who ended up nearly in a tree and got 50k payout for it on a moped that was capable of well over 45kmh and his bike was examined , you dont think the insurance company would have gotten out of that if they could have..

Its all semantics,if you have any 50cc vehicle and an m licence you are legal and insured end of. The licence is stated incorrectly and no insurance company will ever challenge it.

Its a technicality insurers wont bring up because its leaves them and the RSA open to all sorts of legal trouble, why were they provided insurance in the first place when they honestly said they only had an M license and listed the moped they wanted to insure etc and the insurance company said no problem..

• Advertisement

If they set the requirements out as "any vehicle that cannot exceed 45 kmh" and dont specify cc or kw that is farcical. So we basically have every single moped owner in Ireland riding illegally because every 50cc machine is capable of more than that.

The capacity is defined. No every person riding a scooter is riding illegally if they have it insured as a moped, not every scooter is a moped and mopeds aren't all scooters.
    If I was one I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over non licence compliance or insurance company's not paying out tbh. Only two years ago I know of someone who ended up nearly in a tree and got 50k payout for it on a moped that was capable of well over 45kmh and his bike was examined , you dont think the insurance company would have gotten out of that if they could have..

Its all semantics,if you have any 50cc vehicle and an m licence you are legal and insured end of. The licence is stated incorrectly and no insurance company will ever challenge it.

Its a technicality insurers wont bring up because its leaves them and the RSA open to all sorts of legal trouble, why were they provided insurance in the first place when they honestly said they only had an M license and listed the moped they wanted to insure etc and the insurance company said no problem..

This is the reason why insurance in this country is so high.

Advertisement