Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

50cc in Dublin city?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

OP, what licence do you have? A lot of people call scooters mopeds and vice versa. If the OP is restricted to 45km/hr, even commuting in the city centre is going to be very tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Del2005 wrote: »
    The capacity is defined. No every person riding a scooter is riding illegally if they have it insured as a moped, not every scooter is a moped and mopeds aren't all scooters.

Capacity for Class AM is not defined.

Top speed is restricted by the gearing that's fitted or by an electronic limiter I would imagine.

See here for current licensing classes.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/

The capacity is defined. No every person riding a scooter is riding illegally if they have it insured as a moped, not every scooter is a moped and mopeds aren't all scooters.

This is the reason why insurance in this country is so high.
    No its not, thats the problem. They say any vehicle over 45kmh, if you go into bike world most 50cc mopeds/scooters whatever you buy with that licence will be capable of more than that speed. So we really need either a new licence category or for the manufacturers to start making 35cc machines or putting electronic speed limiters in them for the Irish market which isnt going to happen.

If they rely on that licence being a 45kmh limit they should be providing a list of suitable machines because I would think there are very few vehicles being sold brand new today that wont go even a smidge over 45, thus according to you 99% of people using that licence in Ireland tomorrow morning for their commute are riding illegally and insurance wont pay out, sure they wont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

franer1970 wrote: »
    Capacity for Class AM is not defined.

Top speed is restricted by the gearing that's fitted or by an electronic limiter I would imagine.

See here for current licensing classes.
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/no-name-yet/
    I should stop speed reading stuff I thought I knew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No its not, thats the problem. They say any vehicle over 45kmh, if you go into bike world most 50cc mopeds/scooters whatever you buy with that licence will be capable of more than that speed. So we really need either a new licence category or for the manufacturers to start making 35cc machines or putting electronic speed limiters in them for the Irish market which isnt going to happen.

If they rely on that licence being a 45kmh limit they should be providing a list of suitable machines because I would think there are very few vehicles being sold brand new today that wont go even a smidge over 45, thus according to you 99% of people using that licence in Ireland tomorrow morning for their commute are riding illegally and insurance wont pay out, sure they wont.

It's not an Irish market issue, bike classifications are standardised throughout the EU. Plenty of bikes for sale meet the criteria of not exceeding 45km/h. It's just no one buys them here as we have a terrible attitude to licencing laws, which isn't helped our complete lack of enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

German police carry a set of small rollers in the boot. If they put a scooter on the rollers and it exceeds the restricted speed limit the rider is walking home and paying a fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Njcer5McBI

rollers shown at 1 minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

737max wrote: »

Now that's cool!

737max wrote: »
    German police carry a set of small rollers in the boot. If they put a scooter on the rollers and it exceeds the restricted speed limit the rider is walking home and paying a fine.

The reason they have that is because in the Spain, The Netherlands and Germany in particular there is a huge scene of modifying these bikes. They all stick 70 or 80cc Polini/Malossi big bore kits on them making them good for probably 70/80mph and dont declare it on the insurance.

I dont think anyone wants to see a 15/16 year old riding a scooter/moped capable of 80mph
    This is why they do this testing, to catch these people not your average Joe on an unmodified bike.

In fact it even says it in the youtube title "Rollerkontrolle mit der POLIZEI - Reportage TUNING"

This is the reason why insurance in this country is so high

No its not, your actually talking through your arse. There is no insurer in the country that will not pay out on any 50cc moped/scooter crash if someone has an AM license regardless of whether it goes over 45km. Insurance in this country is so high because of the ridiculous compensation awarded in courts for minor injuries, nothing to do with people driving 50cc vehicles on an AM licence

Talk all you want about lack of enforcement (which I agree with you on) but there is no way insurance will not pay out unless the bike is modified and not declared.

Even for a 50cc scooter the insurance is extortionate in Ireland unless you are a 55 year old woman so there are few mopeds or scooters around.
    In Germany you can go in to a hypermarket/supermarket like Real and buy a scooter for under 800 euro, buy insurance which arrives to you as a metal license plate in the post for under 30 euro and you are then mobile.
    Ireland robs people of the freedom of mobility which has material effects on your ability to socialize or simply better your situation by allowing you to commute to work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement