Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more inconsistant moderating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Are you contesting a card or ban, or do you just wish to raise an issue with moderation?

If it is the latter, let us know & this thread will be moved to Help Desk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

an overall issue with the infractions I am recieving when the rules arent applied to others and posts that I report.

Whatever area you feel fits

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please outline if you are appealing a specific infraction or card, and we will deal with it here.

A more general complaint about moderating does not belong in this forum and we will move it elsewhere

general

hello? Can I get some feedback in relation to this please? Or at the very least is any action was taken regarding the comments directed towards me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Do the AH mods and cmods even know this thread exists?

Edit: I've slightly altered the title to improve its visibility for any passing mods.

I'll drop the Soc & Fun CMods a prompt.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hang on a minute, you're giving out about moderation in AH, and yet the two posts you linked to that have cards on them are from Commuting & Transport and Accommodation & Property. Then you start linking to all sorts of stuff in Shooting. What is it exactly you're after here?

my complaint is the fact that I am getting cards for certain behaviour but when this behaviour is directed at me its considered ok.

The rules on attack the post not the poster are board wide are they not?

In one I get called a dick and then told its ok, then I get a card for using that exact word.

I get a card for calling someone niave then another for using the word arrogant but then in return, insults directed at me get away scott free.

like I said, I want some uniformality in regards the application of the rules

A key thing to remember is that each forum has its own charter & tone for what is or is not acceptable.

Also, there's a site guideline about attacking the post, not the poster & I feel that this is what you may be referring to, particularly with the first two links. But the comments made related to your alleged hypocracy rather than your ignorance. As a matter of fact, you were only called a hypocrite in one; the other post referred to the hypocracy of your post.

Classic examples of one post attacking the poster, the other attacking the post. Did you report the offending post?

But, as I mentioned - each forum has its own tone & level of rigidity to the guidelines. This accounts for some of the differences in how the rules & guidelines are applied across the site. You've been on boards.ie for some time now, so I am somewhat surprised that you weren't aware of that.

• Advertisement

Classic examples of one post attacking the poster, the other attacking the post. Did you report the offending post?

yep and I was told that it was fine and not an insult, which it clearly is

Right so can I get some clarification, is it ok to call someone a dick?

No. That is attacking the poster. As a discussion site we expect members to offer counter arguments to others' posts rather than resort to name-calling.

Grand, can I have my original complaint about this re-examined then: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98427282&postcount=37

heres the link again to explain that actually according to Beastie, its ok to call someone a dick: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98433454

and also the hypocracy comment again as that has still been allowed to sit there withut sanction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Can we remove After Hours from the title as this is a general modding issue not specific to AH. Cheers

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,332 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

esforum wrote: »

heres the link again to explain that actually according to Beastie, its ok to call someone a dick: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98433454
    To be absolutely clear I never said that.

I said it was OK for the mod to describe your behaviour in that way. He said you were "being a dick" - a term that as I have already indicated is actually embedded in the site's FAQs

Beasty wrote: »
    To be absolutely clear I never said that.

I said it was OK for the mod to describe your behaviour in that way. He said you were "being a dick" - a term that as I have already indicated is actually embedded in the site's FAQs

its the same thing beast and changes nothing. I accepted your explanation but clearly others disagree with you as I got cards for the same thing and Hill has just said its an insult.

esforum - You are being disingenuous & misrepresenting what I & others are saying. Beasty was very clear on the "Don't be a dick" issue what this was explained to you back in January...
    Beasty wrote:
    On the point of you being infracted for calling someone naïve - it's a bit strange that you raise that as when I look at your history that card shows up as overturned at the mod's request:confused:

I have already addressed the "being a dick" point if you care to re-read my prior post. It's also covered off in the site FAQs

As I have already indicated I have no interest in the underlying topic and certainly would not claim to have any knowledge of the correct terminology.

The thread has been closed and I support that decision as, since you got yourself involved, it had descended with entrenched views from you on one side and regular members of the Shooting Forum community on the other. No formal sanctions have been issued and so far as I am concerned that is the end of the matter.

"You are a dick" = Attacking the poster
    "Don't be a dick" = A site ground rule

"You are a dick" = Attacking the poster
    "Don't be a dick" = A site ground rule

"Stop being a dick" gets me a card:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99175486&postcount=60

"you're being a dick" here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98427282&postcount=37

both stating that the OP is currently acting in a dickish manner

• Advertisement

In the first link, you were carded for back-seat modding.

In the second link a forum moderator referenced the "Don't be a dick" site rule & also provided context in relation to your trolling in the forum.

I'm not wasting any further time on this ping-pong where you provide a link & I explain it/justify the mod action.

I don't see inconsistent moderation. I do see that the "Don't be a dick" rule causes you some issues. Steer clear of referencing it in future, & you won't be carded for misusing it.

He wasnt acting as a mod, he was posting as a forum user, that was stated at the start. he posted an insult. "you are being a dick"

Im a user, I posted an insult.

You yourself stated "You are a dick" is an insult. It is no different to "You are being a dick". Its the same

All this thread proves is that theres no point in appealing anything, the decisions are never overturned and mods are never wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, I think we are done here.

esforum - I am officially putting you on notice. You have come to the attention of a number of mods across a number of forums for nit-picking just like this.

Any more of this time wasting from you across any of the forums and your time on this site will be limited.

I can't make this any clearer. It's not us, it's you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement