Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas please?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭

Last year I dug out a curved border and flower bed at the front of my house, put a membrane down to combat the weeds and then put bags of bark chips down.

Every morning I'm finding bits of bark on the lawn, I'm assuming that some birds are searching for grubs etc, and chucking the bits around

Does anyone know how I could combat this as I'm getting fed up of picking up the bark?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

BBDBB wrote: »
    Last year I dug out a curved border and flower bed at the front of my house, put a membrane down to combat the weeds and then put bags of bark chips down.

Every morning I'm finding bits of bark on the lawn, I'm assuming that some birds are searching for grubs etc, and chucking the bits around

Does anyone know how I could combat this as I'm getting fed up of picking up the bark?

thanks

Don't think there us anything you can do about that apart from releasing the wood chip with decorative stone...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Have to agree, bark chip is useless really, gave up on it years ago.

I did have some success with composted bark for a while, the smaller the chips the better as when they get wet they form a kind of mat and then stay as a mat and tend not to dry up and blow away like the large bark chip.

Stones are one option, but expensive and attract cats :P

You could consider removing the bark and use low growing ground cover plants, planted through the membrane.

few ideas here:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=818

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thank you both

Advertisement