Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ambulance call-signs

• 14-04-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I was just wondering if the call signs of the national ambulance service have changed. For example I know wicklow was/is 580s,loughlinstown 560s etc but I've noticed a few with stickers on the front of some of them with the likes of "5L22" or "5 Lima 23"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Yeah they have changed to the ones you have said. They are like that a good few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

Tripp wrote: »
    Yeah they have changed to the ones you have said. They are like that a good few years now

Have they changed to the Lima call sign. Is there a better for each county/base. Why did they change from the number ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

Have they changed to the Lima call sign. Is there a better for each county/base. Why did they change from the number ones

New radio system and control centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

All units changed over gradually as they transitioned from regional controls centres to NEOC based in Tallaght/Ballyshannon afaik.

I'm not sure the exact call signs, i'd imagine first number is area, letter is vehicle type and third is vehicle identifier. So 5Lima2 is an ambulance based in wherever.

I know the doctor response uses sierra and believe the ICV's have a different letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

The first number is the area as stated, the second set of numbers are the vehicle number, the call signs are 'L' for Land ambulance, 'R' for Response car, 'A' for Ambulance officer, 'D' for Director, 'V' for ICV, 'Z' for AP Student response vehicle on their third block, 'T' is the MRU in Dublin and 'S' are the various Doctor responder models in Cork, Wicklow and Sligo.

I should add that the phonetic alphabet is used with these call-signs, A=Alpha, L=Lima etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 icv1111

So why do they call ambulance in waterford "portam" etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭sjb25

icv1111 wrote: »
    So why do they call ambulance in waterford "portam" etc?

They don't anymore old call sign for Waterford was Portam But the are 3 limas now 3 Lima 06 etc is Waterford for example
    Wexford was wexam but the are also 3 Lima whatever as well
    As bang bang says the first number being area so 3 (South East) Lima (land ambulance) 06 ( vehicle number)
    The vehicles the OP asked about are 5 (East) L (land ambulance) 22(vehicle number)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

sjb25 wrote: »
    The vehicles the OP asked about are 5 (East) L (land ambulance) 22(vehicle number)

So would I be right in saying individual stations/counties don't have an individual call sign. For example as I mentioned before wicklow were 580s, loughlinstown were 560s kildare I think were 530.

Apologies if I'm asking sensitive information. I just have a bit of a general interest in these things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Individual stations have a tetra base station installed with the designation Hotel. Just to clarify Bang Bang gave an excellent example of all the call signs. Zulu is used down here to designate a support vehicle. Not all directors use the call sign Delta. The NAS Medical Director uses the call sign 2 Sierra One but that's probably down to the fact that he's a Doc.

Advertisement