Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what heat to use on Dishwasher?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

We have a whirlpool auto sense dishwasher it has 2 auto sense programs for detecting how dirty stuff is and I (suppose) it changes water volume and wash time to clean stuff optimally. one programme is called Normal and has heat indication of 40c-55c ... the other is called 'Intense' and has heat of 60c-70c.

We normally use the 'normal setting' (if stuff has just got normal food on it not baked on food) but the machine gets pretty smelly time after time and after drying there are droplets of water still left on top (even though we use rinse aid).

I did read somewhere that Germs/bacteria can survive/live up to 60c and normally die off after 60c .

Last night I had normally soiled stuff, no greasy pans or anything and I put the Dishwasher on 'Intense' this time - sure the programme was a bit longer (and i dare say used more energy to heat up water to 60c-70) but the plates not only looked cleaner they were dryer after the cycle.

What I want to ask is:

1.) Is it overkill to wash the dishes every night on this setting?

2.) will it over time be better at keeping the dishwasher cleaner of gunk and smells seeing as the heat is 60-70c rather than 40-55c?

3.) will it ruin over time our plates, dishes, cutlery , glasses washing them at temp of 60-70c?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have the same one and have never used it on any other program than "Normal". Occasionally it does get a bit smelly, but then a good clean out of the filter usually sorts that out, and once in a while I run a dishwasher cleaner through it.

Advertisement