Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLS Driver asking for name

Options
  • 14-04-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things but just got me wondering.

A GLS driver called to the door today with a package with the correct address but the person named on the package did not live at the address.

I explained to him that the person did not live there and he asked for my name so he could mark it as a "refusal". Now, I did not want to give the driver my name because my suspicious mind immediately thought he could possibly use my name and mark that I had accepted the package and hold onto it himself, and should anyone query the delivery my name and address would be recorded as accepting the package which would make me liable for a package I did not actually accept delivery of.

Was I over-reacting or does anyone have experience that this is the norm for refusing a package?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I think you may have over thought it too much. There is no way that you could be held responsible for the package.

They probably needed your name as a reference for a delivery attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You really are over reacting. It all seems perfectly reasonable

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I see no reason why your name would be required. The driver should be telling them back at the depot that the name/address is wrong. Your name doesn't come in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

it is now normal procedure to take details of the person refusing
    nothing wrong with it either
    as for the driver saying its the wring name and address, that wouldnt work the address is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cpier

Thanks all for replying. Just a quick update.

Met the courier driver today, was out in the garden. He said that the package was fraudulent, someone used the address using a stolen credit card, not sure how they thought they would get the package even if I did accept it? V strange. To be honest happy now I didn't give my name, even though the courier would have marked it as refusal but would rather my name was not attached to anything like that.

Bit confused by the whole thing to be honest! I don't understand why they would use my address, as how would they get the package. Odd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

cpier wrote: »
    Bit confused by the whole thing to be honest! I don't understand why they would use my address, as how would they get the package. Odd one.

They'd wait to see that it was delivered by checking online tracking, and then knock in to you and ask did you receive a parcel by mistake for "Mr Whoever".

Advertisement