Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of insulating a stone cottage?

Options
  • 14-04-2016 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all I'm interested in buying a stone cottage, built with granite. The cottage is approx 75sqm. I haven't yet gotten to view it but I understand that it has no insulation anywhere. I'm wondering what the options are here and the likely costs? I'd like to insulate the walls and roof but am not sure what products are available. I've read on other threads about pumping walls, would this be an option for something built using granite stone? Also the roof, in order to insulate that do all the roof slates have to come off or can it be done from the inside?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Hi all I'm interested in buying a stone cottage, built with granite. The cottage is approx 75sqm. I haven't yet gotten to view it but I understand that it has no insulation anywhere. I'm wondering what the options are here and the likely costs? I'd like to insulate the walls and roof but am not sure what products are available. I've read on other threads about pumping walls, would this be an option for something built using granite stone? Also the roof, in order to insulate that do all the roof slates have to come off or can it be done from the inside?

Thanks in advance

More info required

What year was it built? ie is there a dpc at floor level?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AFAIK built c.1950s. I'm not sure if there is a dpc at floor level

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

the precise makeup of the wall is critical here as if the mortar is lime based then you need a compatible approach, there is "loadsa" on this site about this, AFAIR, I have given, as have others, links to different reference material.

Use google advanced search and use boards.ie as the domain:

Again for the roof, I assume its black unbreathable felt so again there are technical issues
    just on the roff: this might help
    https://www.nsai.ie/S-R-54-2014-Code-of-Practice.aspx

If you buy and get the insulation wrong, you will have a world of hurt.

Let us know if you buy

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ralc

Hiya,
    I've an idea that you might have a view on. I'm renovating a 270year old 2 story farmhouse. The living plan will be upstairs open living and down stairs is bedrooms. The walls are excellent built stone walls, half meter thick, lime mortar pointed inside and out from original and they were historically always exposed never having any rendering inside or out. I'm going to leave the stone exposed on the exterior but interior I was only going to insulate the ground floor bedrooms and hopefully leave the stone exposed upstairs. I'm wondering will this be okay in terms of dampness, cold, condensation etc upstairs. I am insulating downstairs with about 150mm of stepped off 30mm standalone insulated stud wall and insulated plaster board. The gap will be ventilated. I'll have DPC and well insulated floor with geothermal underfloor heating on ground and first floor, well insulated roof and triple glazed windows with potentially a heat recovery system if required. The walls will be exterior repointed up with same lime n mortar and I'll be injecting a sealing compound into the full perimeter of the base walls.
    I'd be very grateful of your opinion on this.
    Regards,
    Ralph

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi one post on the topic is enough thanks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement