Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Snooker Championship 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Of course not everyone can have a charisma of one Hendry or Ronnie...
    Snooker somehow IS also about personalities as well, bar from the skill of playing it.

Trump lost lots in my eyes with his arrogant comments back in the days.
    What Higgins did also had a negative impact and damaged the sport.
    Demand on players are bigger than ever, tournaments all over the world and all the pressure, changing formats etc.

To me it seems as very few atm are still holding the torch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Lavinia wrote: »
    Of course not everyone can have a charisma of one Hendry or Ronnie...
    Snooker somehow IS also about personalities as well, bar from the skill of playing it.

Trump lost lots in my eyes with his arrogant comments back in the days.
    What Higgins did also had a negative impact and damaged the sport.
    Demand on players are bigger than ever, tournaments all over the world and all the pressure, changing formats etc.

To me it seems as very few atm are still holding the torch...

Ye, alot of dour characters out there at the moment which turns many people off. I had a theory that because the format of the season has changed so much, it led to the rise of weaker players who put the work in and made them serious contenders, therefore by default would have to concentrate alot more so wouldn't be great personalities. But that's nonsense when you really think about it. The format changes only took effect in recent years, and the personalities were beginning to wane by about 06.

I think Trump tries too hard to be a peoples champion like O'Sullivan, White and Higgins and nearly over compensates to the point where he's not likable at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There was an interview with McManus on eurosport the other day in which he talked about the young players today compared with when he started out, I thought it made for very interesting viewing. He said the same level of interest isnt there anymore (think that's obvious when you consider how few clubs there are now compared to two, three decades ago) and the kids he sees now just aren't prepared to put the hard practice hours in that's required.

To me it seems the young generation now aren't battle hardened the way players used to be, whatever level of ability they have, and the way the current tour is set-up is not conducive to developing them. All those guys who came through in the early 90s - Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Ebdon, Doherty, Wattana etc - all learned their trade playing high pressured pro-ams and long frame matches against each other. They practiced and practiced and practiced. Players now say they don't need to practice so much because they're always on tour, but I'm not so certain about this. Another thing McManus said was the PTC events were a waste of time, players travelling all around europe to play events, lose one match and trail home again, broke and disillusioned.

Not saying I know what the answers are either, maybe they'll come from China and other countries far away. Ireland, sadly, looks like a dead duck as far as snooker is concerned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Crazy when you put it like that. Worrying too...

• Advertisement

Am I right thinking that IF Ding would win he would 'get' a triple crown?

• Advertisement

Yes, not in the same season, but overall... Seems he would join the ten players who won all three at least once by now

Hendry, O'Sullivan, Selby, Robertson, Murphy, Higgins J., Williams, Davis, Griffiths, Higgins A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

There was an interview with McManus on eurosport the other day in which he talked about the young players today compared with when he started out, I thought it made for very interesting viewing. He said the same level of interest isnt there anymore (think that's obvious when you consider how few clubs there are now compared to two, three decades ago) and the kids he sees now just aren't prepared to put the hard practice hours in that's required.

To me it seems the young generation now aren't battle hardened the way players used to be, whatever level of ability they have, and the way the current tour is set-up is not conducive to developing them. All those guys who came through in the early 90s - Ronnie, Higgins, Williams, Ebdon, Doherty, Wattana etc - all learned their trade playing high pressured pro-ams and long frame matches against each other. They practiced and practiced and practiced. Players now say they don't need to practice so much because they're always on tour, but I'm not so certain about this. Another thing McManus said was the PTC events were a waste of time, players travelling all around europe to play events, lose one match and trail home again, broke and disillusioned.

Not saying I know what the answers are either, maybe they'll come from China and other countries far away. Ireland, sadly, looks like a dead duck as far as snooker is concerned anyway.

The game of snooker is certainly facing some tough challenges ahead. The biggest problem is getting kids interested in it. I am on the committee of a non commercial snooker club myself and I can tell you that there are very few young players getting into the game.

There are so many other sports out there for kids to get involved with now. Kids attention levels have gone through the floor with mobile phones, tablets, etc. Snooker is a game that takes time, skill & a high level of concentration. That's too much like hard work for a lot of kids. Any kids getting into cue sports today, most of them are playing pool. Why? In my opinion it's because the games are faster and less thinking is involved. The games produce a quicker result.

The only reason why a kid might get involved in snooker nowadays as far as I can see, is if his dad plays and is there to get he/she involved.

Snooker clubs have always had a bad reputation for drinking, smoking, gambling. etc. and I think that that stigma is always there in parents' minds. If you were a parent would you let your young kid head to the snooker club on his/her own or with friends for a couple of hours??? chances are 'no'. You would however if you went with them.

It's a real pity in my view because it's a fantastic game of not only skill but strategy. It's also very safe to play for young kids.

Since I'm not listening to commentators has anyone mention this for Ding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jason Mahon

I know i'm a little late to the party, but I have been watching as much of the world championships as one can fit into a day. A real shame O'Sullivan went out. Say what you want about his commitment and desire to continue playing but when that guy is on form there is nothing more satisfying to watch.

All asian final?

Would be interesting.

Strange :)
    I remember when it was a possibility for Neil (well ok he was the first&only non-UK) or Selby or Murphy it was all over the talks..

Btw I'm not sure I remember BBC cutting coverage during WCh games let alone semis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This really is developing into a great snooker match. I've spent 25 years totally underestimating Alan McManus and fear i am finally about to repent the gross error of my ways....

And this is why Mark is no 1 atm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm sick that I can't watch this :(

Can you watch it in the evening and over weekend? :)
    There's still loads to play and both matches got to a more even score so will take longer to complete than seemed in the initial sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Off the whole weekend so I'll not miss anymore!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Incredible! Hope it was him who put it on or there is going to be someone in trouble!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

That was mad. Rotten bit of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Bit weird to see alright! You don't see a ref get involved like that in other sports very often!

• Advertisement

Well in snooker you never know how or when things can turn around..
    From 7 4 to what looks like will be 7 9 lol...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Lovely shot from Fu to knock that red off the cushion. I guess that's why he is there and I'm here. :)

Phew :)

Whatta twists in this frame :D

Cool leveled 8 - 8

Yea, really exiting stuff :-D

Now to do something today before the evening session :)

Ronnie is in Eurosport studio again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

is McManus Ding ending tonight?

Nope, tomorrow afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ding seems to be cuing nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ding on for a 147 here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Should be a maximum

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Ding on for a 147 here!

Don't jinx it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

some black

Nice black but another tough one here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

That black was too tough!

So many tough ones, such a good frame!

Could have taken the pink and 146 for highest break of the tournament

Could have taken the pink and 146 for highest break of the tournament
    Crossed my mind also

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah bollox :(

I thought he could have gone for the pink too, but the frame won at that stage so why not go the maximum.

Great effort. So close.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Who'd ye fancy to win it outright? I reckon with ding in form he'll beat anyone remaining, especially with Selby not playing great :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement